two divers, one computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie: I think 2 people who know what they are doing sharing a computer is not a big deal. Quite frankly there are repetitive dives that I do frequently that I do not need either a table, or a computer for. I just know them. I'd also do a second dive if my computer crapped out after the first one. Just on a very conservative profile, given what I know about my profiles & based on my experience.

For new divers I think it is more of a risk. With potentially faster ascents (lack of control) and possibly more willingness to push a computer 'to it's limits' on a repetitive dive. Also, there isn't a base to draw upon when making decisions, it's all new.

Knowledge is power and I think anyone who blindly trusts their computer needs to sit down and take a close hard look at how they are approaching this sport. That is the same if they are 2 divers on one computer or each diver blindly trusting their own :)

Just my $0.02

I also don't see sharing a computer as such a horribly dangerous sin. I just see it as being less safe. And I do understand why someone may do it. Again, I compare it to diving without an octopus (which I did for my first several years of diving but wouldn't do now). It can also be compared to following a guide without doing your own checks using The Wheel or the tables (though the tables are likely to be far more conservative on a multilevel dive that includes a great deal of shallower depth time than the max).

For simple safety's safe, it's best if each has their own computer, AND if they dive according to what's shown on the most conservative computer. Mandatory? No. But, for the sake of safety which, in turn, leads to a more relaxed and fun dive, it's a good idea not to share.

jeckyll:
Knowledge is power and I think anyone who blindly trusts their computer needs to sit down and take a close hard look at how they are approaching this sport. That is the same if they are 2 divers on one computer or each diver blindly trusting their own :)

Just my $0.02

I think that's a really good point. I blindly trusted my computer when I first got one, but eventually started checking it against the tables to get practice with the tables/wheel before going on to Divemaster. The computer hadn't let me get into dangerous situations, but electronics aren't infallible. Again, it's another backup safety measure to double check calculations. Check the computer. Use an octopus. Carry Spare Air or a pony bottle if you're so inclined. Carry a knife even if it's unlikely you'll ever need to cut yourself out of an entanglement. Carry a safety sausage and/or whistle (depending on circumstances). I liken it to airbags and a safety belt. You're unlikely to need either. But if the ***** hits the fan, you'll be really glad for the extra measures/devices that are there for safety. Backups/redundancy is one of the things that keeps diving so safe.

K9trnr:
I also don't see sharing a computer as such a horribly dangerous sin. I just see it as being less safe.
I see it as a very, very slight increase in risk. It's funny though how so many posters freaked out about the original poster's intent to share a computer with a buddy while not commenting upon:
alicatfish:
When we go on guided dives we don't have a computer and rely on the guide's computer.

In that situation, there is a real possibility that they are being drug along by the DM, unaware of their deco situation. I'm assuming that 2 buddies diving on the same computer will be close enough that whenever desired, the computerless buddy will just go over, grab the computer, and read it. That sort of thing probably does NOT happen with divers following a DM, which is what makes it a trust me dive.

The real underlying rule is that one should know one's own deco status. There are many ways to do that.

Hello Again,

Thanks to those who left thoughtful, insightful responses, and to those who made me laugh. We have purchased 2 computers.

And to those who were just downright sh!tty.... [yaawwwn]...

Back
Top Bottom