Two dead, one prop struck - First Day Lobster Mini Season, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, it’s by one of those three letter agencies, known as the FAA...
I was this many days old when I learned that.

I guess technically some aspects of diving are regulated in the USA. Parts by DOT (tanks in land vehicles), parts by USCG (lots of things), parts by FAA even (rules about scuba stuff such as tanks on planes). There just isn't a Federal Scuba Agency or anything like that which regulates everything end-to-end.

Had some call 6061 aluminum " aircraft grade " today. It aint, not neither, not til the FAA says it is. They got thier fingers in everything that goes up for the most part. Good thing or we'd see lots more Darmin awards in aviation.
Scuba is more self regulated than it was before, I can remember dropping off tanks for filling that had been filled with 02 already.
I wasn't certified and they didn't know they were pp blending for us and all they asked for was the $ for the fills and wher I was going to dive.

Skydiving is for sure regulated in the US.

The jump aircraft’s commercial pilot (at a paid DZ) and the rigger who packs a reserve parachute both need FAA certificates. Think dive boat captain and tank inspector/ fill technician for scuba analogs.

There’s no such thing as an FAA-issued skydiving license. USPA (the current skydiving equivalent of PADI/NAUI/SDI/etc.) is the US club affiliate of FAI, but that’s only important if you want to compete internationally. My D license and instructor ratings came from USPA, and the local FSDO would laugh if I tried to add them to my pilot certificate. The only time the FAA cares about USPA ratings is for demo jumps (PRO rating) or to figure out how badly they can rip a pilot whose poor judgment facilitated a jumper’s shenanigans.

Almost exactly the same lack of regulation as scuba in the US, from what I see. Let’s keep it that way. Shenanigans are fun.

Lance

Had some call 6061 aluminum " aircraft grade " today. It aint, not neither, not til the FAA says it is. They got thier fingers in everything that goes up for the most part. Good thing or we'd see lots more Darmin awards in aviation.
Scuba is more self regulated than it was before, I can remember dropping off tanks for filling that had been filled with 02 already.
I wasn't certified and they didn't know they were pp blending for us and all they asked for was the $ for the fills and wher I was going to dive.
Funny, I consider 6061/6063 structural. And you can't use it in a boat, either, until you show USCG the certs....

Had some call 6061 aluminum " aircraft grade " today. It aint, not neither, not til the FAA says it is

That's not entirely correct. The FAA doesn't decide.

There's a ton of misinformation and marketing BS behind what is aircraft grade and what isn't

Firstly the 4 digit number - in this case 6061 describes the alloy with the first number (6) describing the primary alloy, which for 6xxx series is Manganese

for 7xxx series its Zinc

7000 Alloys are generally used in Aerospace since it has a greater hardness, this makes it more difficult to form than 6000 series which is why the latter is generally used in commercial manufacturing outside aerospace

The other numbers often seen such as T6 or T7 are the treatment state which applies across the board. 6061-T6 and 7075-T6 would have both been solution treated then artificially aged

The material choice for a component is decided by the manufacturer based on its properties NOT by the certification agency.

The raw material of an alloy can be described as commercial or aircraft grade, and that is determined by the amount of manufacturing defects allowed, be it material inclusions from the pour, or rolling defects like internal lapping and piping.

A batch sold as commercial grade can be inspected and re qualified as "aircraft grade", but it's generally not financially beneficial

Because 6xxx series is more often used in the commercial world and 7xxx in aerospace, this is where the grade term comes from. But its incorrect from a metallurgical standpoint. From a marketing perspective any BS is fine until they get called out

The Florduh Mini Lobster Season is probably the one time where using a shark cage would be a good idea.

LOL!

And all matching color (usually safety yellow or neon green accented) coordinated and same brand top to bottom dive gear and accessories.
I haven’t seen those type of divers, yet. Split fins are for older American divers. Matching color-coordinated gear divers are for the Italians.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom