Two dead, one prop struck - First Day Lobster Mini Season, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knew of people in Florida that claimed to dive for lobster each year and said they never took a class. I would just shake my head and say that’s a very bad idea.
The number of homemade cert cards that were either downloaded from Amazon or just photocopied from someone else’s c-card presented for air fills at one of the Key West dive shops was epic.

Diving is probably one of the very few activities that’s not government regulated, where the majority of participants willingly agree to pay 2-3 privately owned corporations for training where it’s not in fact required. As a matter of fact, I can’t think of another one.
Skydiving.

Skydiving.

Presumably you'd have to own a plane or have a friend with a plane willing to strap you to a parachute and throw you out the door :)

Never tried skydiving, but from the ones that did I gather the operators have you go through a few hours of safety course before letting you jump. Places that start with solo jumps, not tandems, have you jump off of a parked plane etc.

I’ll never understand the insanity over a few bugs. The vast majority are safe divers. It’s the small minority who cause the problems. Personally, I don’t even eat the things so that may be why I don’t get it. I stay out of the water entirely during mini season. I’ll gladly let others fill the boats these 2 days a year.
We dont fish/lobster ever but usually go diving during mini season
The last few times I dove Molasses I was the only boat there!
No take zones are usually pretty empty

If I'm going to dive during mini-season, I'm going to do something safe like go cave diving solo on a rebreather with no bailout, and faulty O2 cells.

If I'm going to dive during mini-season, I'm going to do something safe like go cave diving on a rebreather with no bailout, and faulty O2 cells.

..... and solo

Add to my post checked out the marina and boating channel
Forget it, goin out mañana

The propeller injury looks like a dive flag law violation by the boaters?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Was the leg hacking propeller on a charter or private boat?

I've never experienced Lobster Mini Season (and probably never will) but I would like to hear more about the madness.

TIA

Inquiring minds want to know.

Was the leg hacking propeller on a charter or private boat?

I've never experienced Lobster Mini Season (and probably never will) but I would like to hear more about the madness.

TIA
I believe private.

Back
Top Bottom