Two Cameras, one rig, mantas to macro in one dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjh

Contributor
Reaction score
Doesn’t it just drive you crazy during the dive briefing when the guide says, “this is a great spot for seeing mantas…and we often find pygmy seahorses here.”

At DEMA we saw this I-DAS tray and I thought “hmmmm two cameras on one dive, the flexibility to shoot macro and wide or video while taking stills.” Of course many are already doing this with still cameras and GoPros. My line-up…the Sony RX100 and the Olympus OMD-EM5, both in Nauticam housings. The tray does not have the correct holes for mounting the Nauticam housing on top. But get out your marker, a drill and in a few moments you are ready to go.

As mentioned in other posts, articles I think the RX100 with a good wide angle wet lens is on par with most cropped sensor DSLR so it was my choice for wide and shooting video. The Olympus EM5 with the Olympus 60mm 2.8 macro lens and +5/+10 diopters the obvious choice for macro. I also shot the EM5 with the Lumix 8mm fish eye and really enjoyed it. The size is about on par but lighter than most DSLR rigs. With the 6 Stix floats it was very close to neutral. Shooting was much less cumbersome than I expected. Originally I thought I would dive with this set-up just a couple of times as an experiment but in the end I probably dove it 70% of the time. I even shot it when doing over/unders in the mangroves.

These are the first photos I have gotten processed and just starting to look at the video from both cameras. But when shooting the mantas feeding on the surface it looks like it will produce some interesting video with synced stills. Is this my ultimate system? Probably not but the tray weighs next to nothing and as long as you have a couple of duel optical cables what the heck?!?!? No groan from me when the dive master says….

Over/Under shot with the Sony RX100 and H100+Dome

That's just sick! I guess i need to rob a bank or two after reading this post.... :wink:

Great shots. I especially like your over-under shot.

Doesn’t it just drive you crazy during the dive briefing when the guide says, “this is a great spot for seeing mantas…and we often find pygmy seahorses here.”

At DEMA we saw this I-DAS tray and I thought “hmmmm two cameras on one dive, the flexibility to shoot macro and wide or video while taking stills.” Of course many are already doing this with still cameras and GoPros. My line-up…the Sony RX100 and the Olympus OMD-EM5, both in Nauticam housings. The tray does not have the correct holes for mounting the Nauticam housing on top. But get out your marker, a drill and in a few moments you are ready to go.

As mentioned in other posts, articles I think the RX100 with a good wide angle wet lens is on par with most cropped sensor DSLR so it was my choice for wide and shooting video. The Olympus EM5 with the Olympus 60mm 2.8 macro lens and +5/+10 diopters the obvious choice for macro. I also shot the EM5 with the Lumix 8mm fish eye and really enjoyed it. The size is about on par but lighter than most DSLR rigs. With the 6 Stix floats it was very close to neutral. Shooting was much less cumbersome than I expected. Originally I thought I would dive with this set-up just a couple of times as an experiment but in the end I probably dove it 70% of the time. I even shot it when doing over/unders in the mangroves.

These are the first photos I have gotten processed and just starting to look at the video from both cameras. But when shooting the mantas feeding on the surface it looks like it will produce some interesting video with synced stills. Is this my ultimate system? Probably not but the tray weighs next to nothing and as long as you have a couple of duel optical cables what the heck?!?!? No groan from me when the dive master says….

I really like this!!!
Now just sit it on a camera mount for a Halcyon Scooter :)

I've always wondered if anyone ever tried taking two rigs underwater at the same time! How did the rx100 stack up against the omd?
Jon

Yes bank robbery is always tempting in this hobby, but actually if you price it out the two camera system is still less than many DSLR systems.

As to OMD vs RX100, when it comes to macro the EM5 with the Olympus 60mm crushes the RX100 and any diopter. At the other end the OMD and the 8mm Lumix is a great set up for shooting really wide! But I think in most situation the RX100 and a good wet WA lens is on par for image quality for anyone but the most dedicated pixel peeper. Have a bit of a thread going here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/un...52-raja-ampat-via-oly-omd-em5-sony-rx100.html

YES IT DOES!! 100mm macro or wideangle? You wont shoot mantas too well with 100mm macro..
Especially not on my 7D with a 1.6x crop ratio..

Have you had any more dives with the dual set up? Would you recommend this to anyone? Its very tempting to try. I already own most of the gear except the I-Das tray.

Hi, I see you are in Seattle. We are in Denver. After some googling I couldn't find a US distributor for the I-DAS HD-tray03. Where did you buy it? Hubs was hoping to do something similar with his gopro and new G16 (probably using a Fantasea housing), then add his dual sola 2000s and possibly a new strobe before an upcoming trip to PI late April. Was wanting to see if there was a shop that could set him up and make sure this is all compatible or what adaptors would be necessary to make it so.

Thanks for the info it would be so nice to make this setup work without dealing with designing and 3D printing something to adapt his existing SRP tray and flex arms!

Back
Top Bottom