twist on flashlights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fenderbender29

Registered
Reaction score
hi,
so far, ie gone through three backup lights that twist to turn on, they suck, or maybe im doing something wrong. ive also got a princton tec shockwave 2 that i haave had no prblems with so far, i got it in a pack with 2 other lights that have already stopped working, i got it only a couple weeks ago and have only dived with them a couple times. Does anyone know how to revive the lights that dont work? if not, how can i prevent this in the future?

P.S. if you need to know which lights they are to help me out, they are: princton tec pulse, princton tec locator, and Underwater Kinetics SL4. The one that works is a princeton tec shockwave 2

thanks everybody

Are you simply untwisting them too far when you turn them off underwater?

I've heard far more complaints about a switch being an actual failure point than a twist on-off mechanism. That's why the Halcyon Scout is designed like it is - it's not bright, but when you absolu-frickin-utely need a light to turn on, it will come through for you.

I have a UK SL4, which is a thumb switch, not a twist on. Not familiar with the others. Did they all just die, or is there corrosion present? More details (if at all possible) would probably help.

My SL-4 and my Mini Q-40s have been reliable.

The only time I unscrew the end of the SL4 is when packing to prevent accidental turn on.

The mini Q-40s, twist is the only control but I clean and grease the o-rings regularly.

I used these in commercial service for more than a year so they were not babied in the water.

fenderbender29:
Does anyone know how to revive the lights that dont work? if not, how can i prevent this in the future?

P.S. if you need to know which lights they are to help me out, they are: princton tec pulse, princton tec locator, and Underwater Kinetics SL4. The one that works is a princeton tec shockwave 2

thanks everybody

If the lights leaked in fresh water, you can usually rinse them, dry them out, replace the batteries and be okay. If saltwater and the immersion was for a very limited time, you can usually clean them up enought to get them working. If any longer, they're trash.

Both Prin Tek and UK have warrentees. I have had very good luck with both.

As far as twist on lights, you have to be very careful how far you turn them. Also, most of the cheaper ones are depth limited. I will say that lights with switches have had a longer life in my experience.

MD

The SL4 has a switch, if your turning the head that could be the problem. :eyebrow:

For primary lights twist heads are asking for trouble. Constantly turning them on and off increases the chances of flooding the light. For back up lights its a diffrent story.

If I was you I would check that the dynamic o-ring on the light head was properly lubricated with silicone grease and that the head was put on right and seating properly. Also be sure not to un-screw it too much underwater.

I just got a new Pelican light with a twist on head. Instructions say to turn the head until the light goes off and then rotate one additional full turn so as to avoid the light turning on unintentionally. To soon to tell yet how reliable this light is but Pelican does offer an unconditional lifetime warranty.

yknot:
I just got a new Pelican light with a twist on head. Instructions say to turn the head until the light goes off and then rotate one additional full turn so as to avoid the light turning on unintentionally. To soon to tell yet how reliable this light is but Pelican does offer an unconditional lifetime warranty.

One full turn is a lot. If you can press down on the light head without turning the light on, it's untwisted far enough.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Im sorry, the sl 4 that i have is a switch flashlight, it just happens to be one of the lights that has stopped working, i dont twist it to turn it on. It was the especially strange one because i tested it one week and about a week later i saw that the lens was very cloudy and it wouldnt work, i untiwsted it and it actually popped off. I didnt know if it was a battery leak so i just used some crap lying around to pick the parts up and throw it on the tool bench. It was also a long time after i had dived/snorkeled with it (almost a year).

Regarding my primary, it is not a twist on, i have also had NO problems with it. I love it. I have only had problems with 2 backups and one small locator light/identifier

thanks for your input,
Doug

Was the SL4 lens cloudy from condensation (slight leak occuring), or was the plastic physically altered, i.e., did it look a bit like the lens was melted? I don't have a list of what dive lights can and cannot be used out of the water, but overheating may be a thought.

Back
Top Bottom