Twin Lakes Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pcsanity

Reaction score
My wife and I are going to go to Twin Lakes this Sunday to do a couple of dives to check out our new equipment before a rig trip next week / Australia at the end of the month. I was going to see if you guys could answer a few questions about TL -

Where is the best spot to head out for decent visability - especially considering I am sure there will be OW classes there Sunday.

Do we have to display a dive flag while we are diving there? If so, do they have them or do we need to bring one?

Do they rent tanks? (If so, do they have plenty)

Anything that is a don’t miss….yep, I know…its Texas lake diving.

Thanks,

Matt

Been there. Once, Not too good. Not that there's anywhere better to go around Houston. They don't rent tanks. Visibility is about 6-10 ft. at best. I suppose you could stray away from the diving platforms and get better vis, but the bottom will be muddy and cold I might add. Don't know about dive flags, but I don't think so, the "lake" really isn't much larger than a few acres, I don't think they allow boats, jetskis etc. It'll work fine for trying out some new gear though. Congrats on going to Australia, that had to cost a pretty penny, I'd like to hear about it when you get back. Have fun:wink:

As someone who's a bit more familiar than Magellan.....

You'll find the best viz in the middle of the lake, along the old roadbed, usually about 10-15ft but is often 20+. The shoreline is usually a bit more stirred up but the students aren't to blame for that.

:box: As a rule, students go out and back to the suspended platforms on the surface. The few that are taken on a tour can't be held responsible for all of it. It's handy to blame the students but it's usually the already certified divers who do the most rototilling. Those who are new divers have a reason, those with more experience have none. And we've seen plenty of divers with hundreds of dives doing their share of stirring things up. so if even the backwash off your fins have ever stirred a bottom, don't complain about the low viz! :box:

The run-off from the recent rains have also contributed to the lower viz. It's not necessary to go to the bottom. The grassline ends at the first thermocline at 22-24ft. Below that is cold, dark and with a muddy bottom but the viz is excellent!

The lake is about 40 acres and not open to boaters so a dive flag is not needed. They have a good air compressor but does not rent tanks...yet.

For what you want it for, it will do you well. For the rest of us who like lake diving, we call it home.

Like I said, I only went once. Maybe I'll try it again. Here's their website.

http://www.scubapark.net/info.shtml

By the way, what's there to see? We saw a few perch the day I went, very curious. I got a friend who wants to try out some new gear too, and it would be nice to do a quick dive or two there before my upcoming trip to Grand Bahama.:idea:

There are plenty of bass and several monster bass in there as well that we've seen. If you want to play with a few medium sized bass, go under any of the floating platforms and there usually is at least one decently sized bass per platform that will play hide and seek with divers.

In talking with the owner, some of the info on the website is incorrect.

1) Reservations are not needed unless you are an instructor with a large class.
2) Camping isn't wanted. Permission is given on a person to person basis but Mike doesn't want to incourage camping.
3)Passes are no longer being issued.

Under Park Rules....
4) Dive flag have never been required.
5) instructors don't have any special parking priveledges.

My eyes may not be better so much as more realistic with 6-8 dives a week there!

Thanks everybody...

I have NEVER kicked up any silt.... :liar:

<joking....of course I have>

Do you guys think TL or Blue Lagoon is better?

donbon once bubbled...

Unless of course you enjoy the acidity and lack of anything living :)

A little off subject...the science nerd is coming out in me. :doctor:

I'm not trying to be a know it all or anything, but I think it's the exact opposite at the Blue Lagoon. It seems to me to me that the composition of the quarry is mostly alkaline giving it a higher PH level, which is a basic solution. MOST fish need a delicately balanced PH level to survive, if you've ever owned a fish tank you’ll relate that it can sometimes be difficult to keep this PH level balanced. Our own bodies maintain a natural PH level, anything much less than or greater than 7.4 can be life threatening. With the high concentration of alkaline in the Blue Lagoon a normal fresh water eco-system is not possible. It kind of makes you wonder though, with the absence of all life, is it safe for us?………………JK!

Back to the topic at hand...or the scuba nerd in me. :scuba:

I've dove both and I think they're both kind of fun. The Blue Lagoon is kind of a gamble, some days the visibility can be better than others. If it's good they have some cool wrecks you can dive. It's kind of a haul for me though, living in the Pearland area. They don't have very good entry points making it very difficult to get in without stirring up sediment.

Twin Lakes is only 5 minutes away, unfortunately they don't rent tanks.....Yet. From what I understand, Mike (the owner), is getting his certification to inspect tanks and once he gets that he is going to start renting them. They have a very nice tank refilling station and I personally think the area is allot nicer than the Blue Lagoon. He's put allot of work into the park building some very nice docks, pick nick tables with covered canopies, changing areas, and they have some very nice training platforms. It's also more interesting to dive the Twin Lakes because they have a good amount of fish to watch (blue gill, bass, perch, and some have seen turtles.) The blue gill are especially friendly, it is not uncommon for one to follow you around for most of your dive. I agree with Dee that the lack of visibility cannot be blamed on the students (once you dive there you'll understand.) All in all, it’s not only a good place to freshen your skills but is also fun as an all day outing, bring the kids and the dog if you want. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Although, I think Dee would be the resident expert on the Twin Lakes.

Cheers,
Matt

You're exactly right about Blue Lagoon, It's very High in alkaline due to the limestone quarry it's in. I think Donbon was just answering the question...

"Do you guys think TL or Blue Lagoon is better?"

"TL is better... No comparison..Unless of course you enjoy the acidity and lack of anything living "

And I agree with you both. Blue Lagoon and Twin Lakes are both good places and are different enough they really can't be fairly compared. I personally like TL better because I like the life that's in it, from the bugs to the fish and turtles, to the plant life. Always something to see and watch. While BL is just dead water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom