Twin-hose open-circuit scuba regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anthony Appleyard

Contributor
Reaction score
Look at this Youtube video "Double Hose Regulators: "Around the world in 11 minutes"" for lots of makes of twin-hose open-circuit scuba regulators.

Who makes twin-hose open-circuit scuba regulators now?

Here is a CGI image that I made.

aqualunger4_bubbles_00.jpg

With the pandemic, nobody..... Vintage Double Hose (Florida) makes the Kraken which is a fantastic modern double hose regulator performing on par with most single hose regs. They also make components to upgrade old regulators to nearly the same performance specs. The problem is, it is a "cottage industry" and the manufacture of components is just not happening now. Even with manufacture coming back online, the capitol outlay is significant. I've been patiently waiting for a restock of parts to do upgrades, but learned from my basic scuba instruction to never hold my breath. I'd really like to see him making production runs of regs again.

We can only hope things continue to improve.

I don't have a Kraken but I do have a Pegasus a relative of the Kraken.
Works just fine for me. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 61
Back when 2-hose regs were common, I learned, when swimming with a 2-hose aqualung but not breathing from it (e.g. on the surface), to put the loop of breathing tubes under one arm to keep the mouthpiece deeper than the regulator, to avoid free-flowing. (Once when I surfaced with my breathing tube loop under an arm, he thought that I had got it like that from floundering about in a panic, until I explained that it was deliberate and why.)

Vintage Double Hose makes a DSV which makes it so much easier.....

Similar to the Pegasus above, Rob at The Scuba Museum does a Trieste conversion to large cans called the FX....

For USD: The Phoenix first stage with a modern material diaphragm and HPR second stage from VDH is really the cat's meow with updating certain models. The DBE (duck bill eliminator) is also a nice add-on.

I love diving the big old hunks of chrome.

1636984594506.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom