Twin 45's back from Hydro and valves/manifold rebuilt.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Lawyer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I just finished overhauling my Sherwood valves/manifold and got my twin 45's back from hydro. Added a VDH backplate and now I am learning how to sew webbing with an awl. :)

Although this rig is by no means vintage, it is mid-70's ish and is my daily diver. In an attempt to please the vintage scuba gods I replaced the plastic knobs with metal Sportsways and US Divers knobs. Since the parts come from US Divers, Sportsways and Sherwood my wife says I should call it a "us-divers-sport-wood." I'm not entirely clear what she meant by that.

The side post faces backward by design. That way I can use single stage double hose regulators with a short yoke on the center post and run any LP accessories off a 1st stage on the side post. Otherwise, the DH hoses get in the way of the 1st stage on the side post if it is also facing forward.

baYIly.jpg

qMrc7h.jpg

The side post faces backward by design. That way I can use single stage double hose regulators with a short yoke on the center post and run any LP accessories off a 1st stage on the side post. Otherwise, the DH hoses get in the way of the 1st stage on the side post if it is also facing forward.

DANG! I never thought of that as a solution. I've got a Sherwood manifold that I quickly abandoned because of clearance issues. Now I have to think about it again! Thanks!

Very good idea with the bands and VDH plate. Same with the replacement knobs for the Sherwood, their original knobs are brittle.

Finished rigging with "D" rings and integrated weight pockets. Got a $6 sail repair awl and tried to learn to do a lock-stitch. I'm not very good at it but its good enough for government work. :)

zZkXnh.jpg

7dAjJW.jpg

rwYHiT.jpg

wMb1Jp.jpg

@Scuba Lawyer,

I took a slightly different--and a bit simpler--route. I think the stitching is visible in the attached pics if one stares long enough. A couple of weeks ago I had a local shoe repair shop do the box stitching. (I don't have your patience or dexterity.)

Shortly afterwards, work got really busy, and, so, I have not yet sourced the sex bolts required to complete things.

rx7diver

Harness_Stitching_20210226a.jpeg Harness_Stitching_20210226b.jpeg

@Scuba Lawyer,

I took a slightly different--and a bit simpler--route. I think the stitching is visible in the attached pics if one stares long enough. A couple of weeks ago I had a local shoe repair shop do the box stitching. (I don't have your patience or dexterity.)

Shortly afterwards, work got really busy, and, so, I have not yet sourced the sex bolts required to complete things.

rx7diver

View attachment 644428 View attachment 644429

Yours is much more professional! I'm cheap (ask anyone). I only did it my way (with the weight stops behind the plate) so that there would not be any stress on the stitching. (In other words, I have zero confidence in my ability to stitch two pieces of webbing together so it will hold. :) )

Dumb question, but couldn’t you just use a triglide / weight stop? I’ve used them without stitching to create the loops on crotch straps with great success. (N.B. I’ve never used it with a scooter.)

I use a piece of bicycle inner tube to keep the webbing tail flat, and I have never had any problem with any loosening or slipping, and it looks very neat and clean, though it wouldn’t look quite as neat on your red webbing… :)

I only did it my way (with the weight stops behind the plate) so that there would not be any stress on the stitching.

I actually thought about having a couple of rivets added, too. But I decided that that would be overkill for twin Faber LP 46's/50's.

rx7diver

Dumb question, but couldn’t you just use a triglide / weight stop? I’ve used them without stitching to create the loops on crotch straps with great success. (N.B. I’ve never used it with a scooter.)

A lot of folks use those triglide sort of holders. It is only personal preference for me. If the straps are too short then the holders are very close to the plate and i'm always afraid they will scratch one of my rechromed DoubleHose regulator cans. If you double up the straps and keep them long then those kind of holders work great. I just don't like the bulk of the doubled-up straps. Yeah, I know I'm weird. :)

Yeah, I know I'm weird.

You dive life support equipment nearing a century old. Voluntarily. I think that last sentence might be… redundant. :)

But the not scratching re-chromed brass? *That* makes perfect sense. :)

And yes, I was speaking of a double thickness of strap fed through the triglide. I have found 2 inches of length past the triglide held with the bike tube ring works extremely reliably. YMMV. And you could probably put the bicycle tube over the Triglide to protect the chrome, too.

But hey, the hand stitching works just fine, and gives it an authentic look. I’m just way, way too lazy for that. :)

One day I’m going to have to see if somebody will let me try a double hose for a few minutes. I got into the hobby late enough that double hoses were completely nonexistent, and not yet retro enough to be ironically vintage or whatever it is... :) I’m also young enough to have never seen an episode of Sea Hunt. I would like to understand the appeal better. Even without the nostalgia, they look cool enough...

Back
Top Bottom