TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - September 29 - October 6, 2024 - LIVE FROM THE PHILIPPINES!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
GREETINGS FROM DUMAGUETE
(please scroll down for details)
(Very spotty and inconsistent Internet connection the last day or so and impossible to upload images. Check out our FaceBook pages for the pix.)

Dumaguete is a city in the southwestern part of the Philippines . . .

STAYING AT ATLANTIS RESORT DUMAGUETE - Rather coming home directly at the end of our Yap trip last week, I accepted an invitation from Marty Snyderman to join a group of photogs at Dumaguete at the Atlantis resort here. We are known collectively as Atlantis ImageMakers. (There's a public FaceBook group as well.) There are 11 of us all told and we're going out each day trying to find the most interesting creatures and make wonderful images. It's very interesting seeing the various photo gear that everyone's using. My "big" Ikelite rig (pictured below) looks like a point-and-shoot camera compared to what some people are using. They've got some housing with fold-out legs they use as tripods, some people have multiple strobe systems set up so they can swap back and forth, others are just doing videos, some people stills & video. But it's been fun comparing notes and trading ideas with everyone either on the dives or during meal time at Atlantis. (FYI, the food's been great and the presentation is really nice as well.)

THE ATLANTIS STAFF IS TERRIFIC – One very impressive thing is that it seems EVERYONE not only knows you name but addresses you by name. Obviously this applies the to Divemasters but it also includes the front office staff, restaurant staff, and housekeeping. I’m not sure how they all lock in your name so quickly – and it’s not just me, it’s everyone – but it’s very impressive and adds a nice touch of familiarity.

THE DIVING’S BEEN VERY PRODUCTIVE – Dumaguete is known for muck-ish diving where you find wonderful and rare creatures. We’ve spotted such animals as Blue-Ringed Octopus, Flamboyant Cuttlefish, Peacock Mantis Shrimp, Thorny Seahorses, Stonefish, Frogfish (I even found one on my own), and a lot more. On tonight’s night dive, they found two Ornate Ghost Pipefish that no one knew about before. That all being said, because the diving is near-shore (and most of the sites are within 10 minutes of Atlantis), the viz is nothing to write home about. 10-30 feet is sort of the norm. But, from a photographic standpoint, because it’s mostly macro, that’s not a big deal because we use long lenses and get right up on the subject.

THERE ARE REEFS TOO – I say muck-ish because there are reefs too. We dove a spot called Sahara this afternoon looking for the Peacock Mantis Shrimp but it was a really great reef as well where we saw Barracuda, Spadefish, Anemonefish, Garden Eels, Sweetlips, Cardinalfish, and a whole lot more. We also did a 3-dive day trip over to Apo Island (about a 45-minute run) where the reefs are much more extensive and the viz is better. So there’s something here for everyone but be aware that a lot of the focus is on the muck diving and the critters they call the “Superstars of Dumaguete.” I’ve got one more dive day to go, then a day off, and then fly off. I’ll do a trip report and picture collage for this just like I would for any other Reef Seekers trip.

WOULD WE COME HERE AS AN OFFICIAL TRIP? – Sure. I’m not sure this would work into the 2025 schedule, but perhaps in 2026. Keep an eye out.

HOW WAS THE LOBSTER OPENER? – I haven’t heard anything unsavory so hopefully we made it through unscathed and the only victims were lobsters. If you’re going out bug hunting, please remember to keep a close eye on your air. Most of the lobster hunting fatalities we’ve had involve running out of gas at depth and not being able to make it to the surface. Keep an eye on that pressure gauge.

PALAU IS NEXT UP FOR US – I get home October 2 and am here for about 4 weeks as our last 2024 trip to Palau o n the Palau Aggressor II leaves on October 31. Yikes!!! I didn’t plan for much of a break this year. First World problems. And while I’m home, we’ll try to nail down the details for the Easter Island back-to-back trips in March.

That'll do it for now. Have a great week and hopefully we can take YOU diving sometime soon!!!

- Ken​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom