TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - October 27 - November 3, 2024

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Baseball, Airlines, Easter Island, and more
(please scroll down for details)
I'm not sure how much more my heart can stand . . .​
mail
DODGERS vs YANKEES - It's already being called a classic. Even if the Dodgers had lost Game 1 on Friday, it was an amazing contest filled with drama, excitement, and tension, all the way down to the Freddie Freeman home run. And even Game 2 on Saturday had a tension-filled ending as victory was certainly within reach of the Yankees at the end. Even if you're not a baseball fan, you should be finding this compelling to watch. We'll see what happens when the series shift to New York on Monday.

AIRLINE WEBSITES - Some are pretty good. And some are rather frustrating. LATAM is falling into the latter category. This is the airline we'll use for our Easter Island trips in March. When we're planning trips - or when you're planning a trip if you do it on your own - you can have everything set up exactly the way you want but, if you can't get there, that upsets the apple cart. It's even more problematic when only ONE airline flies to wherever you're going. That;'s the case with Easter Island as LATAM is the only way to get there (from Santiago, Chile). What was frustrating was that I'd check to see how the flights were filling up and it seemed there were 100+ economy seats available on each leg, with the total fare coming in around $2,000. But then I looked a week later, and the ONLY option was Business to the tune of $9,000. But experience told me there was no way that they'd sold out Economy in the seven days since I'd last looked. And sure enough, about a week later, all the Economy seats were available again. So if you're booking stuff on your own, be aware that sometimes what you're seeing on the website may not be reflecting the true nature of what's available on a given flight.

EASTER ISLAND IN MARCH - Our first week (March 8-16) is now full. But we still have spots left on the second week (March 15-23). Easter Island, know for the giant carved statues known as moai, certainly isn't usually on a list of dive destinations. But I've enjoyed the diving there the two other times we've been there. It's certainly a unique environment, even more so because Easter Island is one of the most isolated inhabited islands in the world. (You can see the 2019 pix here: EASTER ISLAND 2019.) 25% of the fish there are endemic and they've got a pretty healthy hard coral reef as well. We'll do 2-3 dives each day (11 total). We'll also do three half-day (4-6 hours) land tours so we'll get to see many of the famous moai areas, including the dormant volcano where they were all carved, and we'll learn about what we know and don't know about their history. So this is one of those rare Reef Seekers trips where it's a blend of underwater and topside stuff to see and do. It's also a great trip for a non-diver and that's why we've got both a diver and non-diver rate. Diver rate is $2,775 (hotel, diving, tours, tips) and the non-diver rate is $1,945 (everything but the diving). It will definitely be memorable and if you'd like to find out more or secure one of the last spots, send an e-mail here or give us a call at 310/652-4990. Here's a small taste of what we'll see above and below.​
mail
LEAVING FOR PALAU ON THURSDAY - Palau is still one of the top dive destinations in the world and we're leaving on Thursday for our eighth Reef Seekers trip there. We'll once again be diving with the Palau Aggressor 2 and hope to have some wonderful pictures and fabulous stories to share with you. The last time we were in Palau was 2016 and one thing we noticed then was how much more crowded it had gotten than on our previous trips. So it will be interesting to see how post-pandemic levels compare. The weather's looking promising - extended forecast calls for some scattered rain but very little wind - so hopefully we won't get tropical storm conditions like those that affected our Yap trip. The nice thing about Palau is that, even in bad weather conditions, you can usually find a place to hide and dive. So fingers crossed. I'm not sure what level of internet connection we'll have - supposedly the boat does NOT have Wi-Fi - but I'll try to post some pix on FaceBook whenever we can get a signal.

DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME END NEXT SUNDAY - We'll fall back one hour at 2AM next Sunday. Don't forget to adjust your clocks accordingly.

AND WHILE I'M THINKING OF IT - Happy Halloween (Thursday) as well.

ANOTHER SQUID VIDEO - You may need FaceBook to view this but I thought it was pretty cool. the Schmidt Ocean Institute is a non-profit that does ocean exploration and they posted a video of a Black-Eyed Squid that was brooding eggs. Most squid lay eggs in a cluster on a reef or even on a sand bottom (like we get here at Redondo Beach) but the Black-Eyed not only carries the eggs but then tries to help them hatch. Here's the link to the video, which I found to be peaceful and serene: BLACK-EYED SQUID AND EGGS.

And that'll do it for now. Have a great week and let's go diving together somewhere soon!!!

- Ken​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom