TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - October 13-20, 2024 - LIVE FROM DODGER STADIUM!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Dodgers, Avalon, Easter Island, and more
(please scroll down for details)
Coming to you from "Blue Heaven on Earth," where there is much joy . . .​
mail
mail
BASEBALL, NOT DIVING FOR A SECOND - I started this before I left for the game and am finishing it now that I'm home and the game is over. Above:Opening ceremonies, Ohtani gets a hit, Mookie clears the bases, Dodgers win. They looked pretty unbeatable tonight, tying a record - 33 innings, including the Padre games - for holding post-season opponents scoreless. Hopefully they can keep this up.

DUMAGUETE, PHILIPPINES - I'm still working on the trip report for this one but I was actually able to finish tweaking pix and have posted them on my SmugMug account. The short version of this, for those not familiar with Dumaguete, is that - like the Lembeh Straits in Indonesia - it's another spot in the world that's considered a premier location for muck diving. And for those not familiar with that term, muck diving is usually done on sandy bottoms where unusual creatures happen to live. I've been referring to Dumaguete as "muck-ish" because while there are amazing creatures to be found, there are also scattered coral reefs, unlike most muck places. So there are critters to find and coral crevices to explore. Here's a quick sample of some of the stuff we saw during my brief (4-dive days) stay at Atlantis Dumaguete: SOME OF THE CREATURES OF DUMAGUETE.

AVALON TRIP THIS WEDNESDAY - You know that I'm an advocate of fall diving in SoCal. We've got an Avalon day trip on the books for this coming Wednesday. 8:45AM out of San Pedro, then leaving the island at 6PM. 3 dives, taxi, and tons of fun, $180/person. Based on the daily "Mark at the Park" FB reports, it sounds like water temps are in the mid-to-upper 60s and the viz is anywhere from 30-60 feet depending on the day. There haven't been many Giant Sea Bass sightings lately but you never know. If you're interested in going, e-mail me here or call us at 310/652-4990.

EASTER ISLAND BECKONS - We've (finally) finalized our Easter Island plans for 2025. Based on initial interest, we're doing two back-to-back one week trips. The dates have shifted slightly because, all of a sudden, only Business seats were available for what was going to be our first week to the tune of $9,000/seat. Even for a business like us based in Beverly Hills, that seems a bit pricey. So we're now going the second week and then the third week of March. The actual travel dates are March 8-16 and March 15-23. And the details . . .​
mail
EASTER ISLAND PLAN (BOTH TRIPS) - This will be our third time there. I find the diving to be interesting because 25% of the fish there are endemic. And March is also their peak water temperature time (upper 70s) so you might even get away with a 3mm suit. There are small differences between the two trips but each group will get to do 11 dives over the course of the week and will do three half-day land tours. Generally, it's two dives in the morning, break for lunch and then either another dive in the afternoon or a land tour. And because sunset is around 8:30PM, we'll have plenty of time for the land portion. (Three half days is perfect to cover all the major moai sites.) Because almost half of this trip is on land, it's also a great trip to bring a non-diving partner along. Cost for all of this is $2,775 (non-diver is $1,945) and includes airport xfers, double-occupancy hotel (single supplement might be available), diving (tanks/weights - rental gear is extra), land tours, crew/staff tips. Economy airfare on LATAM is running around $2,000. Because we're limited in space for both the dives and the land tours, I can take no more than 7 divers and 4 non-divers for each of the weeks. If you're interested or need more info, send us an e-mail or give us a call at 310/652-4990. Easter Island (more correctly - Rapa Nui) is quite a unique place to visit from both a diving and touring perspective and this is a travel adventure you don't want to miss.

WORKING ON THE 2025 SKED - I'm starting to work on both the 2025 travel sked as well as the local classes/trips. For most of the local stuff, it only takes a couple of people who want to go to make a local trip happen. This applies to both the Avalon day trips and the various Redondo-based beach dives we schedule. As far as classes, we do most of those via Zoom and it's the same amount of work on my end to do it for one person as it is to do it for one hundred. So the number of people signed up for a class (Fish ID, Nitrox, Photo Workshop, Tables & Computers) generally don't matter. And those Zoom-based classes are some of the key things we think you need to know to make your dives more enjoyable and to make you more knowledgeable. I hope to have the full schedule for next year in place no later than December 1.

2025 VACATION TRIPS - As mentioned above, we've got the two back-to-back Easter Island trips in March, and we're also got two back-to-back Maldives trips in September. (Bothj Maldives trips are already sold out.) Since we generally do 5-6 trips/year, I'll add one more trip in, most likely in July. I haven't settled on a place yet but am leaning towards going back to Roatan as we feel Anthonys Key is a terrific operation and by going in July, we'll avoid the smoke/fire issues that affected us a bit this year in May. (But happy to take alternate destination suggestions as well.)

PUGILISTIC OCTOPUSES - This was too funny to pass up. Researchers studying some octopuses have found that they recruit other fish to help them hunt, and may reach out and punch some fish to keep the in line. You can read more about it here: OCTOPUS PUNCHERS.

That'll do it for now. Have a great week and hopefully we can take YOU diving sometime soon!!!

- Ken​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom