TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - May 5-12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
It's been a loooong and busy week . . .

CHAMBER DAY 2019 . . . $121,996!!! - Thank you all for, again, making this event such a success. This was our third-highest total ever. A lot of divers participated in one way or another and we appreciate it. There's still time to add your name post-event to the roster of the Flying Dutchman or to make a Challenge donation or to order a Day or Eve shirt. Just got to www.chamberday.org.
url=https%3A%2F%2Ffiles.constantcontact.com%2F57f3b309701%2F9ba6afc8-6a89-44aa-9de6-e10a2282b6db.jpg

BUSY TWO DAYS AT THE SCUBA SHOW TOO - It's somewhat nice thematically to have them so close together but on the other hand, just when we think we've got time to wind down from Chamber Day, we've got to wind up for the annual Scuba Show, which was at the Long Beach Convention Center this past Saturday & Sunday. There really didn't seem to be much in the way of new things there (small tweaks and such to existing products) but it's always nice to see old friends and get caught up. LOTS of travel info there and, for those of you who went, you may get an idea of the myriad of options from which we need to plan each year for our various Reef Seekers adventures. Hard to pick sometimes. We also want to thank those of you who attended our two seminars. We had a nice full house on Saturday for "Why Divers Die," our annual review (with Coroner John Kades and Chamber Director Karl Huggins) of the actual fatalities in Los Angeles County for the previous calendar year and where we had a rather robust discussion of Immersion Pulmonary Edema, which factored into the lone death in 2018. On Sunday, thanks to those of you who arrived at the crack of Noon - and braved a rather warm lecture room - to hear about diving with Whale Sharks in Isla Mujeres. Those in attendance also experienced something rare: I finished early, rather than late. But they were able to get a good feel for what it's like to snorkel with the largest fish in the sea, and it's a good time to remind you that we're hoping to go back to Isla Mujeres August 10-17 this year. If you're interested in signing up, call us at 310/652-4990. Here's a short video to give you an idea of what it's like: WHALE SHARK WORKOUT .

SUNDAY TO SUNDAY - You're likely aware that this Sunday (today as I'm writing this) is/was Cinco de Mayo. But don't forget that NEXT Sunday (Cinco de Mayo + Sieta) is Mother's Day. Guilt hath no fury like a mother scorned . . .

SPEAKING OF CINCO DE MAYO - I used to pitch them on this regularly, but I don't know why the Ships To Reefs people aren't sinking a ship somewhere every May 5. You'd simply call it (and IMHO its a great promotional angle) "Sinko de Shipo."

THEN THERE'S THIS - And yes, it's a gag shot and Photoshopped. No, it's not mine. But you get the idea.
url=https%3A%2F%2Ffiles.constantcontact.com%2F57f3b309701%2F448cc46a-e475-402d-97df-426605bfa69d.jpg

And that'll do it for now. Have a great week and let's go diving soon.

- Ken

Back
Top Bottom