TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - May 19-20, 2024

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Greetings from Anthony's Key in Roatan
(please scroll down for details)
Another week in the tropics . . .

WE'RE STAYING AT ANTHONYS KEY - I always try to book a post-Chamber Day getaway and this year we landed in Roatan. We were last here in 2018 and there have been major changes/improvements since then. Those who have been here before will cheer at this announcement: No more climbing 60 stairs to get to the dining area. They've done major rebuilds up and down the waterfront dock and now reception and a huge dining area are on the same level as the dock. (The slight downside is that you have to be dry to enter the restaurant. No more lunch-in-your-wetsuit.) They've also rebuilt the nitrox tank analyzing area and have re-paved the entire water front dock. And they still run a very disciplined, organized schedule which I like a lot. Dive 1 at 8:30, Dive 2, at 10:30, break for lunch Noon-2PM, dive 3 at 2:30. They now also include two 6:15PM night dives (Tuesday and Thursday) in the standard package. It's a very well-run operation.

CONDITIONS - We've done three dives so far - today was our first dive day - and all were pleasant. Water temp is 85 and viz around 60 feet down the dropoff, 40 feet (and a little greenish) in shallower waters. I haven't noticed any of the Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease that's spread around the Caribbean and here as well. So far, not too bad. We did notice a relative lack of fish on the first two dives, but that was rectified on the third dive (Melissa's Reef) which was a lovely drift in the current. Good stuff to see including a juvy Spotted Drum, a Skillet Pipefish, and a Toadfish (but I missed that one). We also had a couple of turtles on the first two dives. Weather's been a little breezy but laying down so I think we're in for a good week.

SPECIAL DAY TOMORROW (MONDAY) - Not because it's my birthday but as luck would have it, Monday is one of their "special" days. We're going to start with a dive on the Aguila wreck, which is always a nice dive, and then we'll head around the West End to hopefully dive Mary's Place, then lunch at Maya Key, which Anthonys also owns, then one more dive on the way back home. Should be a nice day.

GOOD GROUP SIZE - It's a nice compact group of 8 divers: Sharon Talley & Jamie Jamison, Henry Gittler & Listette Lieberman, Michelle Leonard, Rachel Capoccia, and Laurie Powers & me. We've got a boat to ourselves and have John Carter as our DM, who we had in 2018 and 2013. John loves finds small things so I'm hoping for some good macro shots through the week.

IN THE MEANTIME - Enjoy these shots from today's dive at Melissa's:​
mail
mail
mail
mail
mail
mail
ON FACEBOOK EACH DAY - If you want to follow us vicariously, check out both the Ken Kurtis and the Reef Seekers FaceBook pages as I post a Daily Top 10 of 10 shots from that day's dives. Barring any Wi-Fi signal failures, I should be able to do that every day while we're here.

That'll do it for now. Don't forget the Scuba Show is two weeks away, June 1 & 2. Have a great week and let's go diving soon!!!

- Ken​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom