TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - March 12-19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Want to travel??? Upcoming 2017 vacation trips:

• March 17-25 - Bonaire [ LEAVING THIS FRIDAY ]
• June 10-17 - Isla Mujeres (early in the Whale Shark Season)
• July 7-19 - Yap Immersion #1 (special 13-day trip featuring all that Yap has to offer)
[ LIMITED TO 12 DIVERS - 6 SPOTS LEFT ]
• July 21-August 2 - Yap Immersion #2 (week #2 - same sked as above)
[ LIMITED TO 12 DIVERS - 6 SPOTS LEFT ]
• September 1-6 - Great White Sharks of Guadalupe on the Nautilus Belle Amie [ WE'VE ONLY GOT 6 SPOTS - ONLY 1 OFFICIAL SPOT LEFT ]
• November 2-12 - Fiji (SW area near Suva) on the Fiji Aggressor [ SOLD OUT!!! ]

GET MORE INFO ON ALL OF OUR VACATION TRIPS HERE: www.reefseekers.com/foreign_trips.html
————————————————————————————————————————————
Upcoming local dives & classes:

• CLASS - Wed., 3/15 - Photo Workshop (CANCELLED BECAUSE OF SNOWSTORM - SEE BELOW)
• DIVE - Thu., 4/6 - Night dive at Redondo (6PM - FREE!! - might still see some squid)
• DIVE - Sat., 4/22 - Avalon UW Park ($150)
• CLASS - Wed., 4/26 - Fish ID (7PM in Westwood - $25)
• CHARITY EVENT - Wed., 5/3 - Chamber Day & Eve 2017 2017 (7AM-11PM at Catalina and in Long Beach)
• DIVE - Thu., 5/24 - Night dive at Redondo (6PM - FREE!!)
• DIVE - Sat., 6/3 - Avalon UW Park ($150)

To sign up for any of these dives, either call us at 310/652-4990 or e-mail us at kenkurtis@aol.com

————————————————————————————————————————————
It's not often I can say this with a straight face . . .

PHOTO WORKSHOP IS CANCELLED BECAUSE OF IMPENDING SNOWESTORM - Although the class is supposed to be Wednesday night in Westwood, the catch is that I'm on the east coast. I had hoped to leave by Monday evening but it looks like that won't happen and there's a HUGE snowstorm barreling down that will likely close the airports for much of Tuesday. So right now I'm tentatively scheduled for a Wednesday evening that flight that gets in to LAX around 10PM. Ergo, no class. We had a little snow for part of the day last week, as you can see, but the one that's coming in looks much more serious. Check my Facebook page Tuesday to see if I can post pictures. It'll likely be more dramatic than this:
IMG_2502.jpg

CHAMBER DAY CHUGS ON - We're under way now for this important fund-raiser and, as many of you know, Reef Seekers serves as Ch-Day HQ. Hopefully you'll join us on the Cee Ray or the Flying Dutchman or at our evening table. Sign up for any and all aspects at www.chamberday.org.

DIVE IN APRIL AND GET RAFFLE TICKETS - We really appreciate the fact that the boats and their owners/captains/crews donate their time and their vessels to make this whole thing work. So again this year, we're doing something extra for the boats and something extra for you as well. Simply put, we want you to dive with any of our Chamber Day boats during the month of April. We think it's important for the dive community to support the businesses that support our Chamber. So we'll sweeten the pot by giving you free raffle tickets for every day in April you do that. Every diver who does an April dive day with our participating boats - Asante, Cee Ray, Giant Stride, Hattitude, Pacific Star, Perfect Mistress, Second Stage, Sundiver, Sundiver Express, or Westerly - will receive five FREE Chamber Day raffle tickets from the boat. Since you don't need to be present to win a prize in the Daytime Raffle, you might find that doing a dive in April could snag you a regulator, a BC, or some other wonderful prize. We'll publish a list each week as part of our event updates telling you which boats are going where on which day and how to book (open boat or charter). And much as we hope you'll dive with us on May 3 (or at least do the Flying Dutchman) the goal of this is to get you diving in April and support our participating dive boats.

CLEANUP STATS - The official stats from the Avalon Underwater Cleanup have been compiled and it's amazing that 404 divers were able to bring up from the harbor bottom 5200 pounds of trash in 90 minutes. That's an average of about 13 pounds/diver or 58 pounds/minute. Not too shabby. If you like to see all the stats along with a list of all of the prize winners, use this link: USC Wrigley Institute | WIES–CCD AH UW Cleanup > Wrigley > USC Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences.

LEAVING FOR BONAIRE FRIDAY - We'll be in Bonaire by Saturday evening and will start diving Sunday. Be sure to check out our Reef Seekers Facebook page for daily Top 10 Pix and hopefully next Sunday's TWARS will be coming to you from one of our favorite places to go dive.

Short and sweet so I can get my snowshoes out in anticipation of the coming winter deluge.

- Ken

Back
Top Bottom