TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - June 7-14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Scuba Show 2020, local trips resume, and more
(please scroll down for details)

Did you go virtual with us last weekend . . .

VIRTUAL SCUBA SHOW 2020 A BIG HIT - At least it was judging from the views on our virtual talks. There were six in all as follows:
• Why Divers Die (but none in 2019 so a review of past accidents)
• Safety & Practical Issues for the Older Diver (Dan Orr)
• Diving in the Era of COVID-19 (Dr. Doug Ebersole - also a COVID-19 survivor)
• Getting Back into the Water With Your Camera (Marty Snyderman)
• Southern California's Best Beach Dives (Dale Sheckler)
• The Conception Fire Nine Months Later: What We Know & Don't Know (me)
All of these talks are still accessible on-line through the Scuba Show 2020 FaceBook page and you don 't have to be a FB user to view them. Just go to this page and choose the talk or talks you want and off you go: SCUBA SHOW 2020 VIRTUAL SEMINARS.

LOCAL BOATS STARTING TO GO OUT AGAIN - Although the wind, especially Sunday, may have hampered them a bit, a number of our SoCal boats are starting to go out again, albeit with lessened loads. I know that the Sundiver boats (Express & II), Pacific Star, Magician, Spectre, and Cee Ray are either running or getting ready to run as are others. Many of them are also publishing what the COVID operating procedures will be. One thing that looks to go by the wayside are nice buffets as those then become a heavily-touched area and the thought is that hands are key transmitters of the COVID virus. Some boats will have bunk rooms open - allows people to spread out a little bit more throughout the vessel - others are keeping bunkrooms off limits. Many of them will be asking you to wear a face covering when you're not in the water and their crews will be wearing them too. But procedures are going to differ from vessel to vessel so check with your favorite boat or shop (or look at their website) to see who's running trips and what the various restrictions, protocols, and requirements are.

WE HAVE A LOCAL DIVE FOR THIS THURSDAY . . . BUT MAYBE NOT - In 1967 the Association had a huge hit with "Windy." But in 2020, the "windy weekend" we've just had is not such a huge hit. As you can see below, surf is REALLY up at Vets Park In Redondo (pix is from Sunday late in the afternoon - crowded too) and this wind is going to persist for at least another day or so. I'm giving a club talk Thursday night so would have changed the dive to Wednesday but I fear, even if the waves calm down by then, that the conditions will be not very enjoyable. So let's hold off on this one but I really do promise I'll get us back in the beach diving mode again soon.
url=https%3A%2F%2Ffiles.constantcontact.com%2F57f3b309701%2F75807152-4fab-4f59-9eb6-94e899a8490b.jpg

THE AVALON PARK IS OPEN - I know I've mentioned this before but now I can add a video link that gives you an idea of the protocols. Remember that you should make a reservation ahead of time at 310/510-0330: AVALON DIVE PARK COVID PROTOCOLS.

THE FISH ARE LONELY - You've likely heard stories from zoos that their animals are lonely without visitors during the COVID lockdowns but the same applies to public aquariums too. The fish can certainly see guests outside the exhibits. An aquarium in Cairns, Australia, has actually gone ahead and hired some divers just to keep the fish company. (Thanks to Lionel Galway for passing this along.) A lot of people don't think of fish as having good days and bad days but they do, and they can be moody, and they seemingly have emotions like humans do. Read more about what they're doing in Cairns here: KEEPING THE FISH COMPANY.

And that'll do it for now. Have a great week and let's go diving soon one of these days!!!

- Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom