TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - August 25 - September 1, 2024

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Easter Island, Avalon, Fab Fotos, and more
(please scroll down for details)
Where has summer gone . . . ???

SEPTEMBER 22 - Summer doesn't officially end until September 22 but it always feels like Labor Day marks the end of summer. Maybe it's residual back-to-school feelings (although in L.A. some schools started back up two weeks ago). But regardless of how far you feel summer extends, we are actually moving into what many of us consider to be the peak diving season. This has nothing to do with the opening of lobster season on September 27 (at 6:00PM) but has to do with water conditions historically improving in the fall. Our peak water temps are usually in October when temps will start touching 70º. And during Sept/Oct/Nov, it's not uncommon to get upwards of 100 feet of visibility, especially if you can get to any of the outer Channel Islands. So whether or not you've been diving all summer or haven't been in the water lately, the coming months can offer some of the best diving that SoCal has to offer. So whether it's from the beach, off of a charter dive boat, or at the Avalon Underwater Park, this is a great time to make pans to go get wet.

FINALIZING EASTER ISLAND PLANS - I'm pleased and surprised at the number of you who have expressed an interest in our planned return to Easter Island in March of next year (2025). Twenty-one of you have said you might be interested in going. I haven't finalized things yet but this presents an interesting problem as we need to limit the group size to no more than 12. So I think what I might do, assuming this level of interest holds, is actually plan this as TWO trips and just do them back-to-back (so I'll stay down there for two weeks). The dates I'm looking at right now are March 1-8 for the first group, and March 8-15 for the second group. I haven't worked out the pricing yet but have looked at airfares (LATAM) which are running around $1,900 overall (which includes seat charges, bag fees, etc.). Once down there we'll have five days of diving (14 dives overall), three extended afternoons of touring with a local qualified guide, plus time to wander around on our own on arrival day and departure day. For anyone who's already expressed interest, I'll send you a note once I finalize everything. And if anyone else is interested and you haven't contacted me yet, feel free to do so and get your name on our list. (BTW, because we'll spend three afternoons doing land tours of the island and the Moai - giant statues - this is also a great trip to bring along your non-diving significant other.)

CELEBS DISCOVER HYPERBARIC TREATMENTS - If you thought Michael Jackson was the only one with his own personal hyperbaric chamber, you'd be wrong. Apparently, more and more Hollywood types are discovering the benefits of hyperbarics. Read more about it here: CELEBRITY HYPERBARIC CHAMBERS.

SEA LION INVASION - When I first heard about this I thought, "A few sea lions. What's the big deal?" Then I saw the picture below. Yikes!!! It seems that a horde of sea lions has decided, for unknown reasons, to haul out at San Carlos Beach in Monterey, prompting local official to close it down. It's estimated they'll hang around for 3-4 weeks as their food sources migrate. Interestingly, they're mostly males. But when you look at the pix below, you can see why this is a problem.​
mail
IF YOU'RE THINKING OF GOING TO AVALON - Make sure you make your Catalina Express reservations in plenty of time. During Aug/Sept/Oct the boats can fill up quickly so you don't want to get shut out. Already for next weekend, the first three Long Beach boats and the first three San Pedro boats are all sold out (8/31) as are four of the five Sunday LB boats and the first SP boat (9/1). Book early (or go mid-week if you can).

FABULOUS PHOTOS - oceanographic magazine has released their finalists for Ocean Photographer of the Year. There are some pretty impressive pictures there. I especially like the turtle hatchling reflected at the surface as well as the massive school of Mobula Rays with one jumping one that was taken with a drone. You can see all of the shots through this link: OCEAN PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE YEAR.

And that'll do it for now. Have a great week and let's go diving soon!!!

- Ken​

Back
Top Bottom