Tusa Xpert Zoom vs. Apollo Bio Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Souvy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just wanted to get some impressions others of you that have used or currently use both the Tusa Xpert Zooms and Apollo Bio Fins (specifically the yellow or XT). Specifically, I'm looking for comparisons and contrasts between these two sets of fins (performance, build quality, preference, etc.).

I know that there are lots of other great fins out there, but I would like to limit this thread to those two fins if possible.

Thanks so much, cheers.

I've only worn the Xpert Zooms once, in a pool. Very nice fins. I think the "angle" approach they have is more marketing hype than any real benefit. Good price, however... probably the best split for the money.

I love the bio-fin XTs. Screaming fast, solid natural rubber that will outlive me, and you can actually feel the fins to have a sense of what you are doing in the water, and yet you still get the effortless advantage splits offer in the right circumstances. I would rate the XTs as the best split, period.

CompuDude:
I would rate the XTs as the best split, period.

I haven't tried the XT's, but I LOOOOOVE my pretty yellow Biofin Pros. They are incredibly comfortable and fatigue-free. Plus they look so *****in.'

I can't comment on the Bios, as I use the Tusa Xpert Zooms. The price was good and got one hell of a gear bag free with them last year. 2 friends of mine have tried mine at the quarry and one has already purchased a pair and the other is going to buy a set. Mine have held up so far. I did replace the straps with springs. These fins are definitely cruisers. I have read that they suck for frog kicks, but lately I have been practicing this kick, and seem to be able to move pretty good with them and have yet to get sore or cramp at all with any kick. Hope this helps some.

irishsquid:
I can't comment on the Bios, as I use the Tusa Xpert Zooms. The price was good and got one hell of a gear bag free with them last year. 2 friends of mine have tried mine at the quarry and one has already purchased a pair and the other is going to buy a set. Mine have held up so far. I did replace the straps with springs. These fins are definitely cruisers. I have read that they suck for frog kicks, but lately I have been practicing this kick, and seem to be able to move pretty good with them and have yet to get sore or cramp at all with any kick. Hope this helps some.
Those who say "you can't do a frog kick in splits" are doing themselves a disservice, because there is truth behind their message but it gets lost in the inaccurate phrasing.

You CAN do a frog kick in splits (some better than others). However, the frog kick you do in splits does not compare to the frog kick you get with a good pair of paddle fins. The thrust generated is MUCH more significant with paddles.

It's absolutely untrue to say you can't do it at all in splits, however.

Compdude, you are flying directly in the face with the heliocentric dogma! How could you make such a heretical statement!? So what if what you're saying is true, it flies in the face of what people choose to believe. Who are you to take away that choice?

Heh, I agree. I was also able to perform a helicopter kick for the first time (in both directions) and I was wearing Apollo Bio-fin Pro splits. I'm sure they may not have been as good as the best turns could have been, but A) it was my first try at the helicopter turn, and B) it sure turned me effectively.

There's a lot of good reasons to not like splits, but people often perpetuate objective fallacies rather than stick to the legitimate reasons. I don't really understand why this is the case...

Firedive:
I haven't tried the XT's, but I LOOOOOVE my pretty yellow Biofin Pros. They are incredibly comfortable and fatigue-free. Plus they look so *****in.'
The yellow bio-fins are closer to the XTs (in stiffness) than the black originals, if memory serves. If I ever buy another pair of splits, it'll probably be pretty yellow ones for fun easy tropical dives. I do prefer the extra oomfph of the XTs in more turbid local waters, however. So I can't quite bring myself to part with them, and they're just expensive enough I can't bring myself to buy another pair of splits just for the color, when the ones I have now work so well... although honestly I just don't use them very often (in the ocean) at this point. For most of my diving, done dry, I prefer my Jets.

I have two pairs of BioFins for both Dry, and wetsuit diving.

I find that the more I wear the BioFins, the better I get with them. I can now BACKUP! I may not be good at it, but it's getting better. I also have found that my frog kick provides more thrust than I have experienced in the past. I think this is just a natural evolution in using a fin over time.

I do however really like paddle fins in fresh water dry diving conditions for some reason. Go figure. However I dive the BioFins XT version both wet and dry for most diving.

I have the Tusa Xpert zooms and love them, I am soon going to need to buy a new pair of fins and they are on the top of the list

adrisen:
I have the Tusa Xpert zooms and love them, I am soon going to need to buy a new pair of fins and they are on the top of the list

If you have Xpert Zoom fins, and love them, why would you need to buy new fins? :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom