Tusa or Atomic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nolegirl01

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm between the Tusa sf-15 x-pert zoom z3 or the Atomic Smoke on Water. What do you guys recommend? Do any of you have experience with either or both? Which one do you guys prefer or maybe have another option you think is better? Thanks!

You'll get mixed opinions on this subject, but I'll just come out and say that I don't like split fins at all. I used my buddies for a day of dives at a local quarry (4 dives) and after the second dive I went back to my regular fins. I'll also say that there is absolutely no reason you need to spend $230 on those Atomic fins. If you really want split fins, look into the Scubapro Twin Jet fins.

Have you tried either fins out? Have you tried any other fins? Everyone likes different things and the best way to know if something will work for you is to try them.

I recently picked up a pair of Hollis F1's and love them so far. Great fins, good propulsion, little energy needed and excellent for frog kicking.

Something to look at. The Atomic Smoke on the Water fins, I BELIEVE... are Atomic Split fins except a different color. I could be wrong, but that's how I understand it... That and $80 more.... Double check that, but just something to think about.

The Atomic SotW are made of a supposedly stiffer material and come with spring straps. I liked mine a lot--not enough to think I should have paid full price for them--but now generally use jet fins because they're significantly more useful for frog/back kicks. I can frogkick in the Atomic splits, but the jets are easier for it. For reef diving, even in a knot or two of current, the Atomic SotW are not only great, I find them easier (air use wise) to kick than the jets.

I think you'll find that the vast majority of people who have been on both sides of the fence (like myself) can give better opinions than those who've only tried one type.

Personally, I liked my Apollo split fins until I tried ScubaPro JetFins once I wanted to move to a hogarthian setup. After I tried the Jets in the pool the first time I instantly hated my splits. First off, paddle fins, like JetFins or the Hollis F2's I have for travel offer much, much, much greater control, maneuverability and speed in the water, plus they are on average about half the price of splits.

The Atomic SotW are made of a supposedly stiffer material

Split fins made of a stiffer material? Sounds about one notch below "jumbo shrimp" on the oxymoron scale, no?

Split fins made of a stiffer material? Sounds about one notch below "jumbo shrimp" on the oxymoron scale, no?

Eh, you'll note my use of supposedly. Plus, t's all relative; my Atomic SotW were definitely stiffer than the Mares splits I've also used, and seemed stiffer than the standard Atomic splits the woman has. There's some logic to it, in that the stiffer the rails on the outside of the splits are, the less likely they are to totally collapse and become useless under heavy use like driving steel doubles in current.

But yeah, turtle fins they aren't, "stiffer material" or not.

Out of all of the reviews(mostly from divers I've met on lobster trips) it seems that the Atomics are great fins , Smokes are a little stiffer rail material. I have Mares splits & like them much better than my Jets, or Vipers( I dont cave, wreck, or tech). But I've heard good things about most of the splits if they are used in the right venue.The Tusa splits seem good but a little short and soft and seem to work well with someone of a smaller stature that wouldn't have to push a lot of frontal area or weight.If you can get a good deal on them try them, like 90% of the people that post on here you'll end up with a few different pairs to find what you really like or to suit the kind of diving you choose to do that day.Which is probably why so many have splits & paddles or novas, slingshots etc..

Hell to the no.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom