Tusa Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

we've tested Tusa masks and in general they are tougher to prime, prepare and degrease, but once this process is accomplished the defogging thing is relatively easy with a good quality antifog.

This is true of most masks. They vary in terms of how hard or easy they are to prepare, and if this process is not accomplished well, then the worlds best defogger wont work well.

I have a Tusa Visulator and love it, but I have been working on my advanced and have done two night dives thus far, and it is the only time I have had any problems with the mask. It seems to fog up worse at night and both night dives were the only times I've every had problems with water coming in my mask. Perhaps I am imagining something but I thought it odd that it has only happened on my night dive. Any possibilities on this? Perhaps a drop in temperature, causing my pours to tighten and invalidating the seal that I got when I tried it on? I will know more when I do our Halloween dives for the Haunted Quarry but I just found this to be extremely odd that it only has happened on the two night dives. Any thoughts on this paradigm shift?

I havent worn the visulator, but I have loved the Tusa range of masks for years because of their fit, not just for me, but in rental as well.

Pippa, did you test the technisub look for prepability as I have those and love them, but my guess is that they are really high on the hard to prep list in rental it takes ages to break them in.

cancun mark:
I havent worn the visulator, but I have loved the Tusa range of masks for years because of their fit, not just for me, but in rental as well.

Pippa, did you test the technisub look for prepability as I have those and love them, but my guess is that they are really high on the hard to prep list in rental it takes ages to break them in.

Hi Cancun Mark,

we've looked at the following, all brands sold in Europe I am afraid:
Speedo, Beaver, Scubapro, Technica Poseidon, Tusa, Northern Diver, Cressi Sub and Safari Sub. We also tested 2 masks of each brand, just to improve repeatability of the tests.

We looked at prepping and defogging, you'll get details of the tests on our website www.salclear.com but basically we prepped with all sorts of things ... toothpaste, washing powder, commercial new mask scrub. We then looked at variations of commercial defoggers, spit, washing up liquid and so on. And included in these tests were premier league well known US brands of defog.

In one instance we applied sequentially prep/defog, prep/defog, prep/defog and the mask still fogged after the third process when held in steam. Salclear AquaSport did the same mask on its own after the second application. A combination of our NMP and AquaSport succeeded after one application of each too.

We went a bit over the top and looked at smearing axle grease/silicone oil/vaseline petroleum wax mixtures on a mirror and trying to prep the mirror. Amazing differences in performance.

Sorry, we didnt test the Technisub, but even if its the worst mask to prep in the world I am sure we could crack it in three short applications of our products.

ShakaZulu:
Please try the Cressi- Big Eyes before you buy............

I'll have to agree with my fellow diver with the lovely ladies. The Cressi Big eyes not only look better. But they arnt prone to fogging. Another neat pair of goggles you may want to look at is this mares licra http://www.scuba-equipment-usa.com/express/147.php It has an awesome field of view, and doesnt have that huge lense.

Tusa great mask had one for 12 yrs, that worked well I figure

What causes fog to form?

I believe that fog forms when air that contains moisture is cooled to its saturation point - the temperature where it can no longer hold water in a gas form.

If this is true, then fog forms on the inside of the mask because the air inside the mask is warm...but as the water cools the lense, fog forms on the inside surface. This is the same reason moisture condenses on the outside of a cup of cold soda...

If a mask only fogged during certain dives (night dives, for instance), I wonder if it's possible that increased stress due to the unfamiliarity with the environment could cause the skin to heat up ... thereby warming up the air inside the mask, then the lense is again cooled by the water, then fog forms again....

Who wants to pick this one apart!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom