Trip Report Turquoise Bay Resort, I'm here now and really liking it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rock Star and Underground were our last two dives of the trip. Both were terrific. One Eyed Jack the resident semi-blind Green Moray joined us for the dive as usual. Nice and fishy dive. Underground treated us to several fly-bys by a Spotted Eagle Ray. Lots of little stuff to see there near the coral trees.

Gear is drying and a lot of the youngsters went to see the sloths and West End. I intend to work on the video and take a nap. Not necessarily in that order.

Here is the video I made of our week at Turquoise Bay.

Look forward to viewing...well done, thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Here is the video I made of our week at Turquoise Bay.

Did you BYO drone?

Well done. Thanks for sharing

I hope you give us a review of the resort as well being that my wife and I have considered going to TB.

I hope you give us a review of the resort as well being that my wife and I have considered going to TB.
Sure thing, I have been noodling over my rankings since leaving. Here is what I think based on various criteria:

Hotel Staff: Grade A. Very nice and helpful folks, many would learn your name and preferences. Front desk was great
Resort Grounds: Grade A. Very pretty setting with wonderful views even of the late Farah Fawcett's house which is next door. I think that place was paid for with posters on teenage boy's walls! Having Molly the donkey and horses wandering around was really cool. Molly is very personable, the horses kept their distance. It is not a super polished arrangement but very comfortable.
Rooms: Grade B. The B is for the overhead fan that didn't work in our room, other than that they were large enough with nice bathrooms. Of course you can't drink the water but that is the situation island wide.
Beds: Grade A+. The most comfortable bed I have had in the Caribbean, tied with Bamboo Bali in Bonaire.
Air Conditioning: Grade A. Quite sufficient. No need to leave on when you are not there, it will cool the room down quickly.
Beach: Grade B. The beach would be an A+ if not for the sand fleas. They are doing what they can but you can tell who spends time on the beach based on the number of red dots on their body. I am sure that the over water cabana area, once complete, will not have that problem. After 3 dives, I have little interest in the beach anyway. I am ready to shower and get dry.
Food: Grade C. Take this with a grain of salt, my guts were off from the get go so I didn't eat much. I eat low carb so could usually find something to my liking but not always. Since I didn't have a huge appetite it was not an issue. Breakfasts were generally really good. Sushi night was a disappointment. It was gas station sushi, and not a nice gas station. Pasta night was a big hit with the carbers. I am a passionate griller and know how to cook meat that is delicious and tender, the cook here is apparently not.
Dive Operation: Grade A+. Seriously the best land based operation I have dived with. Excellent safety protocols and terrific service. I happily provided large tips to all. Fills were always 3000+ PSI, Nitrox was steady at 32% and there was plenty of lead on the boat if you needed to swap things around.
Diving: Grade B. The topography and viz was great. Vis was reduced in the channels as you would expect. Lots of coral, a little heavy on the algae due to over fishing. Fish quantities to the west were better but there was plenty to look at straight out. Ironically, the largest grouper I saw was off of Punta Gorda which is the last holdout of illegal fishing. I saw it while searching for the remains the lost fisherman.

Would I return? Yes, planning on it. My wife wants to meet Molly!

Back
Top Bottom