Turneffe vs Ambergris

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am watching these posts as I want to celebrate our 20th anniversary mid-May in Belize. We are lucky that we will be then living in Cozumel and can take the bus down to catch the ferry to AC but am also looking at resorts closer to the reef as well as live-aboards. I looked at the May special for TIR but it is still really expensive for two retireres. :D

Betty

You should call us to check on the specials. Mention Scubaboard for an extra special discount!!

Just got back. Loved every minute! So fun so disconnected. Great staff and dive crew. Tell max ken and cardinal Dave says hello and best wishes! We miss them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandy, once you've settled in a trip report with topside photos would be much appreciated.

Glad you had a great time.

For sure should have one up soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Belize atoll diving is generally better than diving on the barrier reef, and Ambergis Caye diving is on the barrier reef. The only exception here are sites in the South Water Marine reserve along the southern barrier reef. Turneffe Islands diving is very much like Lighthouse Reef in many areas. I think you'll find that Turneffe Flats is the best value. They offer outstanding food, and first class service. With their concierge dive service, the dive crew takes care of everything for the divers. They offer 3 dives a day for 6 days from Sunday to Friday, including a night dive, and a day trip to Blue Hole & Lighthouse Reef. Out of all the Turneffe atoll resorts, they are the only operation that offers diving all around the atoll, including sites on the northwest and northeast, including the Elbow to the south. It's great having 5 dives a day for 5 days as the liveaboards do, but there's nothing like having the space and terra firma that an island resort can offer. Hope you have a great time wherever you go :)

There are quite a few other good dive sites north of Southwater Caye all the way up to Rendezvoux. No dive ops go to these spots though. Occasional snorkelling/sailboat tours but that's about it.

I recently found a beautiful wall…..secret….hah….and named it Yapak, after my favourite dive site on Boracay. Beautiful wall with current coming into it at a dropping tide. Lot of fish.

Turneffe Island is very non commercial and it`s the closet resort to the blue hole. The dives this week were spectacularly incredible, huge pods of dolphins, lots of Caribbean Reef Sharks, couple Black Tips and few Lemon Sharks. Lots of Hawks Bill Turtles, Logger head Turtles a couple Green Turtles and lots of Spotted Eagle Rays. The highlight however was a close encounter with a huge Whale Shark that took its own time diving off the wall into the deep blue. Everyone diving was very excited to get the chance to see such a huge, but passive creature underwater.

Back
Top Bottom