Turneffe Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluefins

Reaction score
I'm a newbie SCUBA diver( got my PADI open water cert in October at Gerstle Cove, Ca.)...going to Belize in April to kayak for a week near Placencia with friends and decided to remain a few more day to try out my new SCUBA gear...

I've been looking into a 4 day package at a new resort...call Hamanasi...for 1-2 days of diving an two days of jungle touring while we decompress before our flt home.

Do any of you have any recommendations for 2 novice divers with only a few days for the first time in beautiful Belize...on a modest budget?

When I brought this up at my last dive club meeting there was only one person in the room who has ever SCUBA'd in Belize and it was over 10 years ago.

bluefins:
I'm a newbie SCUBA diver( got my PADI open water cert in October at Gerstle Cove, Ca.)...going to Belize in April to kayak for a week near Placencia with friends and decided to remain a few more day to try out my new SCUBA gear...

I've been looking into a 4 day package at a new resort...call Hamanasi...for 1-2 days of diving an two days of jungle touring while we decompress before our flt home.

Do any of you have any recommendations for 2 novice divers with only a few days for the first time in beautiful Belize...on a modest budget?

When I brought this up at my last dive club meeting there was only one person in the room who has ever SCUBA'd in Belize and it was over 10 years ago.

Belize Turneffe is not a modest budget place. Honduras Utila Lodge cost less...... Thailand Koh Tao..... US$12 to $15 for a dive, BEACH FRONT Bungalow(backpackers standard) with bath for US$6/day. That is modest budget.

"Belize Turneffe is not a modest budget place. Honduras Utila Lodge cost less....."

Absolutely agree with Utila being the cheapest places (and a fine place) to dive. Even Cay Caulker in Belize is more expensive by 50-100% than Utila. Still cheap by many standards, I expect.

terrydarc:
"Belize Turneffe is not a modest budget place. Honduras Utila Lodge cost less....."

Absolutely agree with Utila being the cheapest places (and a fine place) to dive. Even Cay Caulker in Belize is more expensive by 50-100% than Utila. Still cheap by many standards, I expect.

Thanks for the advice...but....
Since I have already paid for the plane fare months ago and am definately going to Belize for sea kayaking with 9 others it wouldn't be prudent or desirable to change destinations now (My cheap round trip fare has doubled since I made reservations in January)...maybe for the future...

I have only 4 1/2 days left of my vacation when we return our kayaks. Perhaps you are saying that it is cheaper to fly into and out of Honduras unstead of remaining in Belize for those 4 days..and flying is also an issue. I'll need at least one day following the dives to get back from Honduras...where I can manage easily on land in Belize from Dangriga back to the airport.

So far as I know, there are only 3 resorts on Turneffe (which is 90 minutes by boat from Belize City - no planes). Turneffe Island Lodge (very nice, very expensive), then Turneffe Flats and Blackbirds Resort. All will run at least $250/night. The other issue is that boats only run Wed and Sat at most of them.

If you are in Dangriga, I'd look at somewhere in Placencia. It is much cheaper. Check out Gladden Spit for diving with whale sharks. Check out www.placencia.com.

The other option is Ambergris Caye - you *can* fly, or go by boat. Lots of inexpensive options there too (though not as inexpensive at Utila).

If you're near Ambergris, Cay Caulker is nearby too. We stayed for $20 per night for a double in Tom's (recommended on this board). It's nice, but not spectacular. Food would run $20 a day or so and diving $100-150 per day depending on where you went.
=Terry

I have not been there but have a trip planed there for the first week of July with my LDS. They have been there and loved it. You can do a two tank dive on the barrier reef in different areas. I called and talked to them and they said the boat trip is around 30 to 45 minutes from the resort to the barrier reef. Apparently there is less pressure there because it is south of ambergais cay and in its own area with fewer dive shops. You can also go to the turneif islands(sp) for a three tank drive trip. I would like to do that one and hit the elbow. I hear the food is good and the two meals you get a day seem to be enough because you are out diving the rest of the time. I don't know about shore diving and like I say I have not been there but am looking forward to our trip. I don't know if this helps.
Floyd

terrydarc:
If you're near Ambergris, Cay Caulker is nearby too. We stayed for $20 per night for a double in Tom's (recommended on this board). It's nice, but not spectacular. Food would run $20 a day or so and diving $100-150 per day depending on where you went.
=Terry

Aren't local dives cheaper than 100-150? I now the three tanks reef dive costs around 150 but I thought you could get a 2 tank dive for around 60.
AM I correct. I'm about to leave and I might need to take out a loan to cover the expense.

Thanks

tigercrane,
I thought that CC was a bit spendy, too and the format of diving on Cay Caulker seems to be to sign up for an entire day of diving with a minimum of two dives. This was true for every shop we looked at and there are around 5 or 6 dive centers on Cay Caulker.

It seemed odd to me at the time too, but that's the local business model. I'm used to signing up for any one of 3 dives at whatever shop I wander into, but CC does it differently.

Let's see, I've got a price list from Belize Diving services... The cheapest dives you can sign up for is $70 on "two dives on our local reef", a couple dives at $70 for two dives, 2 dives Turneffe North at $90, 3 dives Turneffe N at $100, 2 Dives Turneffe S (the elbow and reputedly the best dive around) for $145 w/lunch. Add $5 for 3 dives for Turneffe N.
=Terry

TOBACCO CAYE!!! if you are travelling from dangriga, it is about a 20 min boat ride to this spectacular, 5 acre island in the middle of the barrier reef! it is pretty inexpensive (we were there right after a hurricane, so it was VERY cheap), very uncrowded, and really close to great dive sites. i wasn't a diver when i was there, so i cannot speak to their service, but the snorkeling we did was fantastic, and the people of tobacco and of reef's end were fantastic. one of the best vaction spots i've been to-- especially if you are a budget traveller who doesn't require anything fancy. basic rooms, delicious fresh seafood, nice people and beautiful surroundings!
here's a link to the place we stayed, or do a google search for tobacco caye and you will find info on the 2-3 other lodges there (remember, it is TINY!)

http://www.reefsendlodge.com/index.html

enjoy belize! please post how the diving is, i am eager to go back!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom