Turneffe Island - Belize? To go or no?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Evenne

New
Reaction score
I'm thinking about a diving trip to Belize and got hooked looking at Turneffe Island Lodge. It looks great, but it pretty expensive (at least it seems like it to me). This would be a 'once in a lifetime' kind of vacation and I want to make sure I pick the right place. Anybody been there? Help! Advice appreciated. Also if anyone has recommended alternatives - let me know!

Thanks -
Evenne :confused:

We did some diving right on the reef just south of TIL during a day trip out of Ambergris. It was the best diving we had all week. That being said, for the money you will spend for a week there, Little Cayman or Cayman Brac beat it hands down. There are some very attractive deals that recently came out for both places, and airfare has been reasonable recently. If I were planning a "once in a lifetime trip" for +/- 1500-2000 per person, (including air and meals) I would choose the cayman sister islands every day and twice on sunday over turneffe. Check the reviews here and on scubadiving.com or feel free to email me if you want more information. That being said, turneffe is high quality diving, and I have heard good report about TIL and nearby Manta Resort on Glover's Atoll.

AggieDiver

Well, i've been to Little Cayman and Turneffe Island resort and would agree that either would be an excellent choice.

Personally i enjoyed TIR more, partly due to the weather being better the week we were there. We got blown off bloody bay wall 3 out of 6 diving days. The diving, not on bloody bay wall for LC, is not that great IMO. However all the sites we went to off TIR were excellent.

If i had to pick between the two, i would pick TIF.

Turneffe. It' s like being on Gilligan's Island...thatched huts, no roads, cars, shops...the diving was fun. Not world-class, but still fun.

The resort manager (Mark) was an arrogant arse, but I'm pretty sure he's gone by now...PM me for a more detailed account of accomodations, diving, etc.

The wife and I just got back from Ambergris last friday. We stayed at Banana Beach south of San Pedro ... a nice place but a small beach area. We saw most of the island and took the trip out to dive the blue hole, half moon and long cayes. (3 hour boat ride but well worth it) My advice is to stay on Ambergris and do the day trip or an overnighter to Turneffe. Both will give you great dives. We put in 12-dives in 7-days including 2-night dives at Hole Chan Marine Reserve. If you can afford a little more, stay on the north end of Ambergris at one of the following: 1) Journeys End Resort, 2) Captain Morgans, or 3) Capricorn. Once you land at the San Pedro Airport you can grab a taxi over to the water taxis in town to take you to the north end areas. In town, there's also Banyan Bay Resort. We dove with Ambergris Divers (they were a little disorganized but still OK) Everything is very laid back on San Pedro but more to do than out on one of the atols.

My husband & I went to Cayman Brac in July of 2000 and had an amazing time. The dives there were awesome. The reefs were very 3 dimensional with lots of cool sand shoots and swim throughs. Animal life was not very large but plentiful. Very healthy reef systems. We stayed at the Brac Reef Resort. It was a great operation. All inclusive with meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) Very tasty meals. The dive operation was great too. Talk about getting spoiled...when you arrive they tell you to leave your gear (masks, fins, snorkels, regs, bcs) in front of your room in the mesh bags they provide you and someone from the dive shop will come by and collect your gear and bring it to the boat. That is the only time you need to touch your gear outside of using it for your dives until you are ready to pack up and leave. The first morning you are supposed to dive, you just go down to the dive shop sign in and head over to the boat and your gear has magically appeared and all set-up with tanks for you all ready! All you have to do is get on board and relax. Then when you get to the dive site (which is only takes a couple of minutes for majority of the dives) you walk to the back of the boat and take a seat, put on your fins and your gear is carried...yes I said "it is carried" over you and placed on your back so you can strap it on and you're set for your giant stride! THEN...once you come out of the water, they take the tank off at the back of the boat and they carry it back for you!! It's amazing when you get so spoiled!!! And when you get back on land, you leave all your gear on the boat until the next dive. And after your last dive of the day they tell you leave your gear on the boat. They take the boat and park it somewhere and it magically appears again in the morning.

As for Belize, I can't say how it is yet because we haven't done it yet but plan to do it this April on the Nekton Pilot, a live-aboard instead of on land. Reason we decided on this was because we heard from others who've been to Belize say that other than Turneffe Island, it's a long boat ride. The one person I know who stayed at Turneffe Lodge said it was heaven and they loved it. But our choice for selecting a live-aboard was because everyone says it's the easiest way to dive. However, I was relunctant to try just any live-aboard until I heard about the Nekton cruises and their SWATH technology which is supposed to make the boat more stable than other live-aboards. So I was convinced enough to try it..we'll see!

Good luck on your decision! And if you want to know more about the Brac Reef, just let me know!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom