Turks verses Dominican

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kylealfriend

Registered
Reaction score
All my sons, daughter-in-laws, and my parents are great divers. 15 of us in total. For 2018, we are deciding between Turks and Dominican. We always rent a large home on the beach. What advice can you give me?

We are looking at them, because they are the only remaining islands we have not seen.
Most of us will be diving every day, for 12 days.

Pros / cons comparing the two islands?
How far off shore are the dive sites (how long are boat trips)?
What part of the island should we look at in terms of renting a house (budget $2k - 3k per night)?
What dive shops should we team up with?

We just returned from 8 day live about on great barrier (spirit of freedom). I'd prefer another live aboard, but was out voted in favor of a house.

Haven't dove either; a little curious about both. Forum postings about D.R. often mention Bayahibe and a dive op. called Scuba Fun; here's someone's trip report from 2015.
Bayahibe 2015 Trip Report - http://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/bayahibe-2015-trip-report.513870/

By 'Turks' did you mean Grand Turk, or Turks & Caicos? Grand Turk is usually discussed differently from when people post about 'Turks & Caicos,' from what I've seen. A couple of 2017 threads talking about it:

Recommendations for Grand Turk
Grand Turk Diving with Oasis Divers
There's a 2014 WetPixel website forum trip report on Grand Turk.

I'm guessing you meant Turks & Caicos, but just in case.

Richard.

Maybe you have started the conversation with too narrow a focus?

1) The DR is not a dive destination for people that like to dive - do NOT go there to dive
2) the "Turks" means several places - LOB or land based if very different
3) there maybe some interesting places in the Caribbean you have not been to yet, even though you said you have been to ALL the islands but DR & Turks. Utila? Bequia? Tortola? Saba? Belize outer reefs?

There are lots of places for diving families to go in the Caribbean and enjoy superior diving. My first suggestion is to book a LOB. Floating family party. Second choice would be to book a small Belize resort, or somewhere on Bequia.

Please let us know what places you have ruled out and why...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom