Turks & Caicos vs Ambergris Caye?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OttoDog

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just booked with Ocean Vibes for the first week of June. We tried for Flamingo since February, but no openings and no drop outs.
We're rather new, having just OW-certed earlier this year, and only diving Ambergris Caye Belize last month for our first "real" dives.
We were knocked out by Belize (yeah, newbies, burnt through our tanks the first few dives), and are curious about the differences we should experience/prepare for in TCI? For example, a rash guard was more than sufficient in Belize for both my wife and I, but other divers were fully wetsuited. Water temp was abt 80 degrees.
I'm a little concerned we may've spoiled ourselves....

Belize will likely seem cool by comparison...

Capture.JPG

It's on Ocean Vibes site also:

Ocean water temperatures at the surface average 80 degrees (F) in the winter and 84 degrees (F) during the summer. Water temperatures range from a low of 74 degrees (F) in the winter months to a high of 86 degrees (F) in the summer months. We recommend a 3mm shorty or full suit in the winter months but a swimsuit or lycra skin alone works well during the months June thru October.

Thanks for the quick reply....
Our cert dives were in a spring-fed quarry in February (45 degrees) with 1cm of neoprene, so we really enjoyed the change.

I was diving with Ocean Vibes last week, and the water temperature was 79°F on the surface and at my maximum depth (83'). The exposure protection of choice for the divers on the boat ranged from rash guards and shorts, to skins, to full 3mm wetsuits. Nobody complained about being cold that I can remember. The 3mm shorty I wore was sufficient enough for two days of diving. I spent the rest of my days there snorkeling in just my shorts; but it was kind of chilly. The water will probably be a degree or two warmer by the time you get there in early June. Also, Ocean Vibes had a wide assortment of wetsuits on their dive boat, so if you feel cold on your first dive with a rash guard, you can always use one of their wetsuits on the next dive. Or, you can bring your own just in case.

My sense is you will be fine in June. We just returned from 10 days in Provo and we were cold on many dives with 3mm full wetsuit and rash guard. At depth, water temp was 75 degrees. Several guides wore rash guards, full wetsuit and a vest over the wetsuit with a hood! Just goes to show that each diver is different and no harm in diving with whatever protection works for you. A good suggestion we received from a guide is to bring 2 rash guards. After the first dive while doing your surface intervale, remove your first wet rash guard. For your second dive, put on your second rsh guard which is dry; if you were cold on your first dive, then put your wet rash guard over the first rash guard and put your wetsuit over both rash guards. You can then get some additional protection by adding a hood if need be (takes up a small amount of space but provides good protection).

Thanks fo the tips on water temp. It's convenient to know that OV has an onbord backup for us if the need arises.

Diving the wall the surrounds 2 sides of Grand Turk is awesome diving in comparison to the diving off AC. If you want to dive go to Grand Turk. Diving outta Provo is 1 hour + to get to not-so-decent sites. I highly recommend Oasis Divers and for accommodations, Island House on Grand Turk. Both ROCK!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom