Turks Caicos air connections

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

martha888

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first post. My husband and I are divers from San Diego California, and we are planning a trip to Grand Turk in September. On the return home, looks like theoretically I could catch the first SkyKing flight from GT to Provo, and then connect to the American Airlines early flight to Miami, with about a 50-60minute interval between the flights. Is this reasonable to do, i.e., are the interisland flights reliable or am I better off flying to Provo the night before? Just don't want to finish up a relaxing dive trip with a flight problem. Thanks.

I've had to make that connection several times. As you may know the baggage area is at the very best a zoo. Depending on the baggage handlers mood they will sometimes decide that dive gear is over sized and bring it out a seperate door so you need to watch for that. 60 minutes isn't enough time to get through Customs and try to get upstairs to make a connecting American flight unless its the first flight of the morning. I've stood in the Customs line for 60 minutes in Miami. Call American and get the next flight and give yourself some extra minutes. Good luck and enjoy the trip.

Last week, I stood in the immgration line for 95 minutes in Miami. I had a 3.5 hour layover. Betwen the immigration line, customs, grabbing a quick dinner, walking to the connecting flight gate and re-clearing security the flight was boarding when we got to the gate.

Miami is a total zoo. 2 hour minimum layover if you have to clear customs in MIA. Avoid MIA at all costs, though going to Provo, you pretty much have no choice.

Thanks mustfajohnson and dazedone. I have had similar prior experiences in the Miami airport. Once, the plane flew in from the Caymans, and pulled up almost to the gate on time, but then had to wait for 45 minutes to actually pull up to the gate and unload.
I think I may not have clearly stated my question.. I was actually wondering about the connection in the Provo airport. I can either fly from Grand Turk to Provo early in the morning which would allow about 1 hour to get on the American flite leaving Provo, or I can fly from Grand Turk to Provo the night before and take the morning American flight out of Provo. I'm leaning toward the second option. Thanks again.

martha888:
Thanks mustfajohnson and dazedone. I have had similar prior experiences in the Miami airport. Once, the plane flew in from the Caymans, and pulled up almost to the gate on time, but then had to wait for 45 minutes to actually pull up to the gate and unload.
I think I may not have clearly stated my question.. I was actually wondering about the connection in the Provo airport. I can either fly from Grand Turk to Provo early in the morning which would allow about 1 hour to get on the American flite leaving Provo, or I can fly from Grand Turk to Provo the night before and take the morning American flight out of Provo. I'm leaning toward the second option. Thanks again.

We made that connection with no problems in January. I would think the one hour time would be okay 90% of the time. Just make sure you let them know you are making a connection in PLS and to not bump your luggage to the next inter-island flight. You should be fine.

Tim Ingersoll:
We made that connection with no problems in January. I would think the one hour time would be okay 90% of the time. Just make sure you let them know you are making a connection in PLS and to not bump your luggage to the next inter-island flight. You should be fine.

Thanks Turtle Diver Tim. I think I will go with the a.m. connection.

Back
Top Bottom