Trip Report Just returned from Turks & Caicos - Dive Provo rocks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LittleNat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just returned from an incredible week in Turks & Caicos, and had 2 wonderful dive days with Dive Provo. This outfit could not have been more professional, more fun or more knowledgable. We had the best time! We chartered the boat, as there were 9 of us and it seemed the best option for our diverse group. We had 2 AOW divers (myself & my husband), an OW diver (who only has 4 dives from 8 years ago), an 11-year old Discover Scuba diver, 3 going for OW PADI certification (including a 14 year old) and 2 snorkelers.

They really take their DSD seriously. It included an afternoon in the pool, then the dives the next day. He was reluctant the first dive day, and never made it down. But Dive Provo was wonderful, and let him try again the 2nd dive day on our surface interval, so that his mom & I could go with him a bit. His dive instructor, Helen, was SO good with him! Told him everything to expect, explained how he could see the bottom & that they would take their time. and as they went down the line she communicated with him the whole time. He got down, they went for a 30 minute dive and he was sold! We can't thank her, and Dive Provo, enough for that experience. His older brother & parents were getting PADI certified, so now the whole family is enthusiastic and we have new dive buddies!

The PADI certification went great for our 3 students. They did all the course work online, then a day in the pool when we got to T&C. The 2 dive days were their 4 dives, and they were certified at the end. Their instructor, Ciarra, was very focused and serious about the training, but made it fun for them too. Our OW diver did a refresher course in the pool, and felt confident in his dives when we went out on the boat.

Our weather could not have been more perfect. Two days of flat seas and good viz, practically sunny the whole time, and no wind. We also had a few snorkeling stops between dives, for our surface intervals, and the first day we had a humpback whale & her calf come around, and the next time we had dolphins! They were amazing. Totally curious about us, and as we snorkeled more and more showed up. Then, as we motored, they jumped and followed our wake. It was absolutely magical.

Thanks to boat captain Jon, for making sure our scuba stops were exciting enough for the advanced divers, safe enough for the new divers, and interesting enough for the snorkelers! Dive masters Ciarra, Helen, Mauro and Curtis were all great too, and Ben & Anna in the shop were helpful & friendly. Oh, and I can't forget Betty, who does the reservations for them. Our hilarious phone calls to set this all up were so appreciated.

I've posted some photos and videos on my Instagram page (Be_Natural_Now) if you're interested. Login • Instagram

It was a lot of work to organize us all, plus the travel restrictions for getting to & from Turks & Caicos were a bit daunting. But it was all SO worth it!

We also had a few snorkeling stops between dives, for our surface intervals, and the first day we had a humpback whale & her calf come around, and the next time we had dolphins!
Wow. That is something. Tell us more about the whale encounter.
Thanks to boat captain Jon, for making sure our scuba stops were exciting enough for the advanced divers, safe enough for the new divers, and interesting enough for the snorkelers!
That was a lot for him to juggle. Turks & Caicos (well, really, Provo. and that area) is known for relatively deeper dive profiles. I'm glad they helped make it happen for you guys in a great way. Impressive.

Wow. That is something. Tell us more about the whale encounter.
It was incredible. The mom & baby were swimming in our area, and started to move away as we snorkeled towards them (but at a safe distance!) But then another boat came towards them, and they sort of came back towards us for a bit. Then they were off. But it was amazing while it lasted! And we had several sightings all day above the water from the boat. One of the dive guides had a GoPro with him and got some great video. Here's a still I pulled.

Attachments

• IMG_4798.jpeg
    IMG_4798.jpeg
    23.4 KB · Views: 107
Very cool- I have hear good things about Dive Provo.

Where did you stay? Any fun topside stuff?

T & C is our favorite place- Grace Bay Beach is incredible. Glad you had a good trip and nice weather.

Very cool- I have hear good things about Dive Provo.

Where did you stay? Any fun topside stuff?

T & C is our favorite place- Grace Bay Beach is incredible. Glad you had a good trip and nice weather.
We stayed at a rental house in the Leeward settlement, called Villa Tropica. It was great. Days not diving were spent snorkeling at the beach and relaxing by the pool. Also had good meals at Bay Bistro and Mr. Grouper. Spent a few hours several days trying to procure fresh fish, which was a challenge! Finally tracked down some locals for lobster and conch. Had to get our fish at the restaurants!

I have dove with Dive Provo and I agree, it is a great organization! I had a great time diving with them. Happy to read that they are still holding the high standards that they had when I dove with them.

Yup. Dove with them a couple weeks ago. I did 4x2 dives, while my fiancé did her final open water dives with them for two days, then dove with me the last 2 days.
Boats were great, all the instructors, divemasters, captains were very good at making sure everyone was doing well.
I'd recommend them anytime.

Amazing

Anyone know if Dive Provo goes to similar places like smaller organizations like Aqua TCI (trying to compare the two). Seems that Dive Provo marina is in the North of the island, while Aqua TCI is on the south side. Not sure if that matters though?

Back
Top Bottom