Turks & Caicos advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No I agree there are no big walls in Grace Bay but there is a very nice mini wall that drops down to about 100-120 ft. The diving is beyond the barrier reef and offers very nice coral formations. As for the big life...well you are no more likely to see the big life on the big wall...I have dived extensively all around the Provo area in the last four years that I have been working here and can have good days & bad in days in all the areas. I have taken numerous beginners (and certified divers) in Grace Bay and have seen sharks, eagle rays, turtles and even had a few dives with Jojo the Dolphin...one particularly special occaision when I had an 11 year old girl on her first try dive. Also not forgetting the time last year when we came across a pod of 7 dolphins including mother & baby and we were fortunate to get in for a snorkel with them for about 30 minutes. Yes the walls are spectacular and not to be missed but on a good day, Grace Bay rocks...ask any of the dive guides who have the pleasure of working for the dive centres that include it in their itinery.

Oh, and I forgot to mention...the north shore is probably the best place to spot Humpback Whales....apart from the one we snorkelled with last week at North West Point, we also saw three more including a mother & calf at Pine Cay and I also hear that Ocean Vibes had 5 at NWP the same day. I also recall one been seen in Grace Bay a few days ago. Heading out to the dive sites via the north shore (including West Caicos via NWP) will dramatically increase the chance of seeing whales.

Ah well to each his own. I guess we are all entitled to our opinions. I'd still rather take the run out of the south dock to get to the boat channel and West Caicos than have my kidneys pounded silly running the north shore. I would also point out that you have a rather vested interest in advocating Grace Bay since you include it on your itinerary while CA does not (unless you count night dives). C'est la vie. I wish you luck.

We actually dont do Grace Bay that often due to the weather and tides...Big Blue do not have a set schedule but rather wait until that morning & make an informed decision based on weather, tides, guests and any special requests. Also we only go the north shore if the weather is suitable, if not then we are ideally situated to head south or west instead. For anybody interested in diving in TCI, all the different dive areas have something to offer and all have their unique characteristics. And all can be good or bad depending on the conditions. Anyway, nuff said, we're hoping to head out north side tomorrow to do more whale watching.

Putting in my two cents. I have great dives on every side of Provo. It depends on time of year, weather, and your preferences for diving for what is considered good or bad. I have found that just like trying to provide an opinion of a painting, you will find some that love it and some that hate it. And just like the seasons back in the states. Some like Spring, Some like Fall, Some like Summer, and the crazy ones like Winter :wink: I am coming back again in June to dive with Wayne with Ocean Vibes. My personal favorite op. However, the couple other ops I have dove with I would dive with again in a heartbeat if Wayne was full. I just like smaller sized groups. Take care and Good Diving.

Tony

Good reply...anyway just to let anyone know who is heading down here soon, this has to be the best season I have known since being here for Humpback Whale sightings around the Provo area. We had another 4 today, two on the way past North West Point, then a mother & calf heading towards West Caicos. Our snorkel boat had them at Pine Cay yesterday and we also had them many times at both North West Point and Grace Bay over the last couple of weeks. Also heard that Beaches saw the whale shark again in Grace Bay a few days ago. Not been able to get in with the whales since our last spectacular encounter but just seeing them from the boat has been good enough. Good luck to everyone & keep those eyes glued to the water!

Club Med is certainly a very good place to stay and dive with. It is a 18yo Club... It is up to you to enjoy from there. Have fun.

Ricky69

Is Club Med still refusing to put prop guards on their boats - the JoJo/Dolphin battle vs. Club Med thing? I haven't seen anything recently, so they may have done something. I just don't think I could stay there if they haven't taken some measures to protect a dolphin that they promote for their own profit...

Last time we dove on the T&C Aggressor, we stayed at the Royal West Indies Resort. It was very nice. If you're only going to be there a day or so apart from your time on the Aggressor, you might look into a hotel that's not on the beach as a way of saving money.

And the advice of checking with Piers (T&C Aggressor captain) for recommendations is well taken. Try emailing him on the Aggressor; he's busy with the whales right now (we just got back a couple of weeks ago), but I'm sure he'll try to respond to you as soon as he can.

sdwho:
Last time we dove on the T&C Aggressor, we stayed at the Royal West Indies Resort. It was very nice. If you're only going to be there a day or so apart from your time on the Aggressor, you might look into a hotel that's not on the beach as a way of saving money.

And the advice of checking with Piers (T&C Aggressor captain) for recommendations is well taken. Try emailing him on the Aggressor; he's busy with the whales right now (we just got back a couple of weeks ago), but I'm sure he'll try to respond to you as soon as he can.

+1 I stayed at the Royal West Indies and it lived up to its reputation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom