Turks and Caicos or Costa Rica?

Where would you go?

• Turks and Caicos

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Costa Rica

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Stay at home. Ohio winters are magnificent.

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KidK9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all, my family and I are all going to be going to one of the above locations the week before Christmas. Both places are comparable in price for the air and land. If you could pick one, which one would you guys go with? If you could say why as well, that would be more than helpful. Thank you all for your vast knowledge.

I've never been to either, but from what I heard, diving in Costa Rica really isn't that worthwile unless you like liveaboards (to Cocos Island), probably not great for a family vacation. TCI allows you to do some spectacular diving and be back on dry land to spend time with non-diving relatives. Land tours in Costa Rica are supposed to be fun though. I've never been to either, but that's what lead me to my vote.

So just regular boat diving from Costa Rica isn't all that great?

KidK9....i'll be going to T&C the first week of Dec. so, i don't know how that is for diving. I"ve been to Costa Rica a few times....yes, the diving isn't the best in the world but it's good...alot of sealife. if you go and dive at Catalina or Bat Island you can dive with bull sharks and possible giant mantas. a friend of mine just returned from there a bit ago and he got to dive with bull sharks, and giant mantas. he had an awesome time on land and in water. he said he's going back again. He stayed at Ocotal Hotel and dove with them also. The viz. can range from really crappy to pretty good. Yes, Coco Island would be the ultimate in diving...but, that's a liveaboard. As a matter of fact i'm heading down to Costa Rica next weekend...a spur of the moment thing as to where someone is giving me the trip down for 1 week. So, since i haven't been down to T&C right at this time i recommend Costa Rica. if you have any other questions i'll be more than glad to help you out.

Been to both. My $.02...

If it's mostly a dive trip - Turks

Dive & land trip - Costa Rica

for a family trip your probably better off with TCI, but as for myself I'd rather do Cocos Island on the Sea Hunter Liveaboard.

This probably won't count for much since I've actually been to both locations. But, for my $, Costa Rica is a better destination by far.

I was bored out of my skull in Turks/Caicos...CR diving was much more interesting in comparison.

PM me if you want details.

domino22:
Just back from T&C found the diving boring.

I'm thinking about studying abroad there throught the school for field studies (which was why I've been paying close attention to this thread...how boring is boring? ability to dive was one of the factors drawing me into the program there!...?

ScubaBabe22:
I'm thinking about studying abroad there throught the school for field studies (which was why I've been paying close attention to this thread...how boring is boring? ability to dive was one of the factors drawing me into the program there!...?
Well except for the sharks,turtles.rays the reefs just all seemed the same to me. Ya there was some small stuff, but the liveaboard did two dives at the same site and told us it took to dives to see everything,ya right they did not want to move the boat or burn the fuel. All divers thought they should have moved the boat. I would rather go to Coz for the price it is way better for me and you have 130 dive ops to chose from. Yes I did have a good time there but it is British so are the prices. Would I go back and dive there yes if it was a free trip. It was flat out boring "most" of the time. But others will differ from me so???

Back
Top Bottom