Turks and Caicos, Anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oasis Divers in Grand Turk were very good and I recommend them. I went just before the peak season and we pretty much had the reefs all to ourselves. Grand Turk is a very laid back place with the reefs seldom more than a ten minute boat ride away. Quite different from busy locations like Cozumel.

I can second the recommendation of Oasis Divers. And I'll have an updated report in a couple of weeks. Heading out on the T&C Aggressor next weekend...

Seth

I dived with Dive Provo and Caicos Adventures, and of the two preferred Dive Provo. I quite liked their smaller boats that generally only had about 6-8 on board.
However, I think the main thing to consider if staying on Provo, is the dive sites. I was quite lucky in that the hurricane was passing to the north of the island in Sept 2003, and as a result diving in Grace Bay was impossible. Therefore all diving was around West Caicos and French Cay, by far the best dive sites in the area. If the weather is good, I believe that Caicos Adventures is the only company that dives exclusively in these areas due to the fast boat. Most of the others concentrate on Grace Bay diving, which is nothing special.
The diving was generally very good, lots of sharks, eagle rays in huge numbers, and the best sponges I've seen anywhere. And it's the first place I've dived where the water temp. didn't drop below 30C no matter what depth. Having said that I am from England, so not having to break ice on the surface is a bonus!
David

David A:
I dived with Dive Provo and Caicos Adventures, and of the two preferred Dive Provo. I quite liked their smaller boats that generally only had about 6-8 on board.
However, I think the main thing to consider if staying on Provo, is the dive sites. I was quite lucky in that the hurricane was passing to the north of the island in Sept 2003, and as a result diving in Grace Bay was impossible. Therefore all diving was around West Caicos and French Cay, by far the best dive sites in the area. If the weather is good, I believe that Caicos Adventures is the only company that dives exclusively in these areas due to the fast boat. Most of the others concentrate on Grace Bay diving, which is nothing special.
The diving was generally very good, lots of sharks, eagle rays in huge numbers, and the best sponges I've seen anywhere. And it's the first place I've dived where the water temp. didn't drop below 30C no matter what depth. Having said that I am from England, so not having to break ice on the surface is a bonus!
David

The best diving is indeed at French Cay and West Caicos. The problem is that some of the other dive ops run out of Turtle Cove on the north side of the island of Providenciales. This means that they have to venture further into sometimes rough ocean to reach the best diving and they don't go to French Cay at all because it is too far. I think Dive Provo now runs out of the South Dock and this has not been a problem for them. Most of the dive ops now run to West Caicos or French Cay but there are a few that seem to look for an excuse to only dive in Grace Bay which is mediocre at best.

Personally I really like Caicos Adventures for the big dive platform. The big power cat is worth putting up with a few extra people. Especially when it is a 45 minute ride. To each his own.

Dive Provo. Big boats but small loads. OUTSTANDING crews - really a lot of fun. They are located at the Allegro resort in Provo.

JRO:
Do it on a liveaboard!!!

The Turks and Caicos Explorer was a phenominal trip (had a friend on the Aggrressor that said he had a great time to, just cost him more)!!! If your looking to relax, dive and eat (maybe drink to), this is the way to go. Awesome food, no trudging gear around, up to 26 dives (I topped out at 25, I needed a nap on the fifth day, but jumped back in on day six), fun crew and a chance to get to meet and get to know some new people (beyond the standard hi, goodbye).

Just my nickles worth (this was my first liveaboard, as you can see, I enjoyed it).

Have a blast (wish I were going again),

Jeff

I'm booked on the T&C explorer for this august. It's my first liveaboard and I can't wait! Any tips, advice on what to bring, not bring? I've got all my own gear. I heard from another thread that T&C doesn't allow knives. Does that apply to liveaboards too? Anything you (or anyone else) can think of would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reiko

I have never heard someone told that they could not bring a knife in TCI. That being said there would not appear to be much chance of entanglement in fishing line.

reikonyc:
I'm booked on the T&C explorer for this august. It's my first liveaboard and I can't wait! Any tips, advice on what to bring, not bring? I've got all my own gear. I heard from another thread that T&C doesn't allow knives. Does that apply to liveaboards too? Anything you (or anyone else) can think of would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reiko

Hi Reiko,

I can't speak to the knives question, although I didn't notice anyone carrying any. No one had any objections to the shears I carried though.

Don't bring much in the way of clothes. I thought I had gone fairly light...turns out I needed even less. Thankfully the boat was only half full, otherwise I would have had one pissed off roomie. Storage space is at a minimum (from my understanding this is the same on all liveaboards). Bring some books and movies to share with the crew(the latest in regards to the reality shows seemed of keen interest to the crew as well).

If you haven't got your Nitrox cert yet, I would suggest signing on for the course on the day you board. You will find Nitrox to be invaluable in maximizing your dive time availability.

You are going to love this trip. The crew is phenominal, the food is excellent, the dive sites (does any of the rest really matter?) are beautiful.

Bring your dive gear, a couple t-shirts, some shorts, flip flops and your love for the sea!!!

Enjoy,

Jeff

When we were there we heard Fifi tell a guy that knives were not allowed in the national park, but lucky for him we were just outside the park.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom