Tulamben boat dives worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anchochile

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We're in Tulamben this week and so far have dived the wreck (great), Coral Garden (nice), Drop off (meh, terrible viz), and Kubu Reef (very nice), as well as several macro sites (great!). We have a few dives left, and our guide is suggesting a boat dive at Emerald. Is a boat dive worthwhile, or would be better off using our limited remaining dives to explore the wreck more, which we loved? It's hard to get a sense for what Emerald or other boat sites would be like - better corals? Better viz for wide-angle?

If it makes a difference, our max depth will be 15 meters or so, as my wife is a beginning diver. Will we be missing out if we skip Emerald for more on the Liberty?

The main assets of Tulamben area are clearly the black sand macro sites, it would take you more than 5 full days to dive them all. So I guess you haven't.
If you are diving Nusa Penida or some other coral sites in Bali like Japanese wreck in Amed, Tulamben may not be the place to spend time on corals wreck apart, especially if you're limited to 15m deep.
That said Emerald is probably the best of Tulamben coral dives for the gorgonians and the density of pygmy seahorses on a single fan. So if pygmies is a attraction to you, go and dive Emerald. (I do'nt know who took you to DropOff and why but except for specific sightings, this spot has really gone down.)

Back
Top Bottom