Tuesday's (12/30) Maui dive photo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Spiny Porcupinefish

123003.jpg

M (A/S/M), F 6.3 (Macro), 1/80, Auto WB, ISO 100

Colour me jealous...it is too windy to take our boat out again today! I might head around for a snorkel, but it's pretty marginal here...

Love the porcupinefish! BTW - can you tell me what the first set of letters mean? M (A/S/M)

Thanks!

alcina:
Colour me jealous...it is too windy to take our boat out again today! I might head around for a snorkel, but it's pretty marginal here...

Love the porcupinefish! BTW - can you tell me what the first set of letters mean? M (A/S/M)

Thanks!

a/s/m = aperture priority/shutter priority/full manual

Looks like he shot this frame on the fully manual setting. With the "a" setting, you set the aperture and the camera sets the shutter speed. With the "s" setting, you set the shutter speed and the camera sets the aperture. On "m", you set everything yourself.

It's great when posters include this information. For people like me who are just learning how to use the manual settings, it really helps to see what works. It also lets you know what's possible with a certain type of camera. I used to think my problem was not having a strobe until Gilligan started posting here. Now I realize that you can take some beautiful photos with just the internal flash. His website is full of them.

........and an interesting looking fish. I am assuming it is in the macro size catagory?

No strobe on this one? Hmm, the shot is so clear, that is amazing.

Thanks, as always for sharing.

SterlingDiver

Yes, I used my new Inon D-180 strobe on this pic. I forgot to put that with the info.
I'm still not used to having a strobe.
I shot this pic at the last minute and had the strobe aimed a little low. I think this fish was about 12 to 14 inches long. I cropped the pic. Only got one shot off and the critter took off.
I am noticing that the strobe brings out much better and more natural colors in the fish. One of the first things I noticed with the strobe is that the sand in the photos is more natural looking.

Gilligan, you're getting awesome results with the strobe. Your new pictures look great.

Back
Top Bottom