Tuberculosis Skin Test (Mantoux/PPD)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Question for the Doctors out there..

What would happen if someone was given a dose 10 times the specified dose of purified protein derivative tuberculin?

The reason I ask, is when I was getting ready for a college course they required I have a test for TB..

The nurse at the facility I went to attempted to inject 1ml (instead of 0.1ml) into my forearm.. Having administered the PPD injection in the military I was observant enough to tell them to get the #$^@#$^ needle away from me.. and read the farking instructions...

I know the 1 ml wouldn't have felt good intradermally, and would have probably left enough of a knot to show a false positive.. but would there have been any medical effects?

Thanks
Scott

My other half is a PA.. She said that it wont harm you. In order to have a positive test it has to have induration (a wheal), but that should go away in time as to not provide a false positive. It you are positive though, you'll have one hell of a wheal.

Thanks FFEMTcJ..

And thank's to your other half..

=)

Was just random curiousity inspired by creative stupidity/lack of reading instructions by my local medical staff :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom