Tube Worm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LGF

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello All,

While diving in Maui last week I saw a strange tube thing that I cannot identify and was wondering if someone on the forum could help. I found the thing in ~20 feet of water not far from shore. It was moving in the current and was semi-transparent. It was about 4 feet in length.

It's the egg mass from a pelagic squid.

-Mark

Thanks Mark,

Did you already know this or did you look it up? I knew the folks on ScubaBoard would know what that was!

Cheers

I know this one, because it's the third time in a year that the topic has come up here. I've got a photo of a diamondback squid egg mass (from Mark Norman's Cephalopods: A World Guide) that looks very similar.

-Mark

I need to study up on marine life so I know what I am looking at and photographing. Can you recommend any good guides for reef fish? I dive mainly in the carribean.

For the Caribbean, the best starting point is Humann's Reef Fish, Reef Coral, and Reef Creatures books.

-Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom