TTL with Canon A640?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bureau13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Is there any way to use TTL with a Canon A640 in an underwater environment, and if so, what housing is required? It seems everyone is using optical slave sync and then adjusting the strobe and camera settings manually. Is there any other way possible with this camera?

TIA,
jds

Hmmm, so the camera won't use the strobe info to calculate exposure? I didn't realize that. Still, I would imagine its still helpful...if you can use it with these cameras...do you know if its possible, and what housing you would need it it is in fact possible?

jds

TTL means "through the lens" - the strobe takes the information from the camera and chooses how much light to put out based on what the camera tells it.

I don't use ttl, I simply use the manual settings on my strobes.

Hopefully someone can jump in with some options.

I think both Ikelite and Sea and Sea have optical ttl converters that will work with the A640, and Heinrich makes a universal optical sensor as well, I think. I believe you can find all three in the Reef Photo and Video on line catalog. I could be wrong, but it's worth checking. The sensor you choose will be determined by the housing and strobe combo you wish to use. Inon has a built in "S-ttl" system in their strobe, that works optically and senses the ambient light to auto fire the strobe at the appropriate setting. I think Sea & Sea has a similar system on the YS-110 for slave use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom