TSandM: Missing Diver in Clallam County, WA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only explanation that I can see is medical.

I agree. It's the only thing that makes any sense to me.

Sorry, I don't buy it. This smacks too much of denial for my taste. Nature is a harsh mistress, and sometimes sh!t happens no matter how conscientious you are. "There but for the grace of God..."

Reactions: Jax
Nature is a harsh mistress, and sometimes sh!t happens no matter how conscientious you are. "There but for the grace of God..."

it regrettably could simply boil down to this.... with nothing to take away from it in regard to diving....

… The only explanation that I can see is medical...

I have to agree with Storker on this one. The word “only” makes it an overstatement.

The great majority of the cumulative knowledge presented in diving classes at all levels resulted from accidents that scared the hell out of, injured, or killed someone. Thanks to all the pioneers the preceded me, living or not.

It is [-]pure hubris[/-] dangerously misguided to think all the lessons have been learned. A great majority of accidents, not just in diving, involve a cascade of three or more often innocuous events that conspire to cause catastrophe in ways nobody ever considered before.

Last edited:
Why do I feel I'm reading a back handed compliment?

Probably because this is an informal conversation hastily converted to text. That was not the intent and I apologize if any offense was implied. I chose those words due to this statement written above:

My speculative “best guess” is consistent with Tom’s
<snip>
Something prevented her for using her many options to return to the surface and some form of incapacity is a logical explanation/possibility...

If I were to construct a 'Careful Scale', I would put Lynne quite high on the fanatic side and me about midway between cavalier and mildly astute. In other words, if it could happen to Lynne, then I'm a prime candidate for the caca fan. I called my dive yesterday because of this. I felt it was what Lynne would want me to do at that juncture.

If I were to construct a 'Careful Scale', I would put Lynne quite high on the fanatic side and me about midway between cavalier and mildly astute. In other words, if it could happen to Lynne, then I'm a prime candidate for the caca fan. I called my dive yesterday because of this. I felt it was what Lynne would want me to do at that juncture.

Nice post Doc.

I've called a number of dives over the years. I remember one in particular when I had flown from San Francisco to LA and had some prototype gear ready for a test dive.
One look at the surge and conditions told me it was time for lunch and not a dive that day. Perhaps we will all remember Lynne on those days.

I also am re-examining my diving; I used to dive solo with a float all the time. I wanted a means of finding me if something happened--I'm to the age (69) that unexpected things happen. But I had some tangle problems, and then broke the float in a current (it was a PVC blow-up float that ripped after multiple uses in current), and dove without it all the rest of the summer. Now, I'm ready to re-acquire a workable float after not diving it most of the summer. Perhaps this will be a fitting tribute to TSandM, that we re-examine what we are doing, and be ready to call a dive off if things are not right.

SeaRat

Attachments

• Dive Float.jpg
    Dive Float.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 1,185
Last edited:
What I have taken away from this is that ours is not a sport we can ever make assumptions about, or take the risks lightly. We can minimize our risks through training, practice and planning, but we can never completely eliminate some risk.

Another thing I take from this is that as tragic as her loss is, Lynne has left a fantastic legacy that will be long lasting through all those she has touched, and those she has helped, taught and advised.

Not many of us can claim to have touched so many in such positive ways as this special lady did, and often having never met face to face.

I went the other route. I dived yesterday and today. Merry and I were thinking about Lynne constantly. She always said such nice comments about our dive reports. I'm usually pretty conscientious about checking my spg and computer every few minutes, more if I'm diving deep. The last few dives had us looking at our gauges more than the reef.
I was at God's Pocket last week, mostly based on Lynne's article in PNW Diver Magazine. I came home Tuesday morning to a voicemail from my sister informing me that my brother had died over the weekend. Hours later I read Peter's post. That news continues to hit me harder even though I never met her. Some of my dive buddies, Ross and Claudette had dived with her and shared stories of her meticulous pre-dive check. It boggles the mind that anything could happen to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom