TSA, Tanks & Ferries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RichinNC:
Recent events is changing TSA's grip on reality.
You peaked my curiosity... care to expand on how/why... (I've not been keeping up with current events lately)

Mike S - great comments! I agree wholeheartedly, unfortunately we're still left living with the results ...

Aloha, Tim

From P&O (https://www.poferries.com/portal/page?_pageid=1613,278207&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL&p_calledfrom=1)

"viii) No more than 3 gas cylinders may be carried and these should be adequately secured against movement of the ship with the supply shut off at the cylinders during the voyage. Leaking and inadequately secured or connected cylinders will be refused shipment."

I can find no other reference on any of the ferries we use. Now the big question are doubles one or two cylinders!!!! (Last time we went through with two doubles and two stages and two singles - I make that 8).

Chris

kidspot:
ahh - I wonder who does all the inspections then? Whenever a ship comes into port here they have armed soldiers with rifles, the tables and screening machines setup where all passengers have to pass through. In a recent conversation with a couple of crew memebers I was told they are not even allowed to have a cork screw on board with them (one was the bar tender) but have to sign one out and sign it back in for work...

Different inspectors, but it seems to be the same limitations ...

Tim

Customs and/or the port authority.

Last month, we shipped 4 full-size O2 cylinders and a bunch of tanks, stage bottles, and rebreather cylinders (mostly full) from Oahu to Maui on Young Brothers. They made sure that everything in the container was properly secured but didn't complain about anything else.

I doubt it will be an issue.

A good point about propane tanks Mike. One would think ferries can not be treated like planes. But I worked for the gov for 20 years and came to understand....""they"" can do some really stupid things.
rich

Back
Top Bottom