TSA friendly transportation of AL40s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is genius.

In a similar approach, I travel with a camera case as carry-on, which includes a couple of Ikelite strobes. Mine are the older NiMH batteries which are fine for air travel. Having been hassled more than once about them, I ordered some stickers from https://www.mabelslabels.com/ that simply say "TSA Air Approved" and stuck one on each battery. I haven't had a problem since.

My full facemasks always result in a "special inspection" or whatever you call it when I fly out of Tampa International Airport in Florida. I've never had a problem anywhere else, but the guys in Tampa always want to take everything out of the bag. Then they discuss it with their boss and get me to come explain what it is for. I might have to try one of those notes, but the problem seems to happen during x-ray so I'm not sure they'd see a note until after they'd decided on the special inspection. Of course, that was a carry-on.

Tip: If you're flying American and get the small upgrade to business class then your bags can be 70 lbs each. You also get two "free" bags. Often the cost of paying for an extra bag when flying coach is more than the cost of upgrading to business class. If you can fit clothing or towels into the bag which means having the tank tightly strapped down isn't really required for it to stay in place.

My full facemasks always result in a "special inspection" or whatever you call it when I fly out of Tampa International Airport in Florida. I've never had a problem anywhere else, but the guys in Tampa always want to take everything out of the bag. Then they discuss it with their boss and get me to come explain what it is for. I might have to try one of those notes, but the problem seems to happen during x-ray so I'm not sure they'd see a note until after they'd decided on the special inspection. Of course, that was a carry-on.

Tip: If you're flying American and get the small upgrade to business class then your bags can be 70 lbs each. You also get two "free" bags. Often the cost of paying for an extra bag when flying coach is more than the cost of upgrading to business class. If you can fit clothing or towels into the bag which means having the tank tightly strapped down isn't really required for it to stay in place.

I've been given the "you know that's military grade equipment" speech from US Customs flying back home through Tampa before too.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom