TSA and Sea Pearls (weights on a plane)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gwvet91

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Has anyone had any problems getting Sea Pearls soft weight through TSA security at the airport? I want bring these on as a carry on item. Thanks.

Recently, I had two one-pound (soft) trim weights in my carry on. I was questioned about them (in ATL) and told "it's a good thing that they are only one pound because if they were heavier you would not be allowed to carry them on."

Has anyone had any problems getting Sea Pearls soft weight through TSA security at the airport? I want bring these on as a carry on item. Thanks.

I just had a freind bring some back from PI. He brought back a half dozen necklaces and braclets. The only reason I would know anything is because I purchased a couple from him.

I just had a freind bring some back from PI. He brought back a half dozen necklaces and braclets. The only reason I would know anything is because I purchased a couple from him.

Sea Pearls:
I believe the OP was referring to a brand of lead shot pouches xD
Unless they make necklace trim weights out of those too. :rofl3:

In terms of whether they're banned or not, I checked the TSA web sight and they don't have a ban on lead shot.
However you should make sure your carry-on is within the weight limit for your air carrier

TSA: Transporting Scuba Equipment
TSA: Prohibited Items

I should also note that if they do give you a problem with it, always be polite to them. Don't go screaming in their face that the website says differently. It's only going to hold things up.
Safe travels!

AFAIK, there is no legitimate restriction on carrying them on, however I stopped doing it because of conversations like this:

Q: What are these?
A: Lead Weights for SCUBA Diving.

Q: We can't see through them.
A: Yes, I know. They're lead.

Q: What are they for?
A: They're for SCUBA Diving.

Q: You can't carry it on unless they can be x-rayed.
A: You can x-ray them, you just can't see through them because they're lead.

Q: What if there's something hidden inside.
A: It's just a pile of lead pellets in a bag. There is no "inside"

Q: OK.

flots.

I've carried soft weights for years, up to 12 lbs (in one-two-and three-pound increments) for two of us, both carry-on and checked, without incident beyond conversation. As g1138 said, courtesy goes a long way.

How experienced the TSA agent is, and how common divers are at the particular airport, might affect the length of the conversation.

My experience is the same as what "knotical" said. I've been carrying soft weights through TSA out of PHL to FFL and other locations without any problem. TSA always hand searches the bags since they obviously can't see through the weights. So plan ahead and give yourself plenty of time to get through the inspection and enjoy your dives.

Why do you bother to cary the extra weight? It's a lot more efficient to use the weights avalable at the location you will be diving. The only exception is if you are going to dive some where that is not a typical dive destination like Antartica, but you'll be carrying a lot more than just lead on that trip.

Leave the lead and tanks at home and rent them when you get there.

Thank you muddiver. For a while I thought I was missing something.

Why do you bother to carry the extra weight?
I'm scrawny and hard weights dig into and abrade my ill-padded bones.

Back
Top Bottom