Trying to plan a trip questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ffhamm

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I've been searching the forum, and haven't really found recent answers to the questions I have.

I 'won' a diving package for Stuart Cove's operation so I plan on going to that Island some time before the end of the year. Pretty much that's all I know at this time.

I have found several threads about where to stay, but I would like to know if it is generally better, cost wise and logistically to do an all inclusive stay somewhere or piece meal everything together.

The threads I've found kind of imply that there isn't a whole lot to do other than dive and lounge. So I figure after the dives we will hang out at some kind of beach or resort, and enjoy a few adult beverages. Are food and drinks fairly affordable here?

How about transportation cost and availability? Rental car for a week or taxi rides?

Was thinking about early October. I know that is still hurricane season, but from what I have found here, it isnt too bad of a time. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jeff

Which location? Nassau or Grand Bahamas?

If it's Nassau, you might look for something on Cable Beach - or Paradise Island (Atlantis mega-resort) which is pricier. Either area has enough to do within walking/short cab ride/bus distance - including downtown. Cove's has a shuttle from either location - about a 45min. ride. There's really not anywhere to stay near Cove's, they're on the south side of the island.

Cove's also has a deal with Orange Hill Inn, probably the closest to their location - it's a budget hotel mid-island on the NW side and I think the beach is across the street. Due to their location you'd likely want a car to drive to Cable Beach, downtown Nassau or Paradise Island. Really nothing on Nassau is what I'd call affordable - everything has to be imported so prices reflect that. Plus it's a cruise port so that doesn't help.

If you're going to their Tiger Beach (Grand Bahama) location, it's onsite at the Old Bahama Bay resort so you'll probably want to stay there. IDK much about that end of the island.

Thanks.

Pretty sure its Nassau since that is their main operation.

Just trying to figure out the most affordable, comfortable option (within reason, i dont want to live like Im homeless, just a nice time at a fair price)

Jeff

How about transportation cost and availability? Rental car for a week or taxi rides?

Stuart Cove does free shuttle service from all the hotels.

why pay for a taxi when they'll pick you up for free? (or rental car)

Are food and drinks fairly affordable here?

They aren't cheap.. some would say they are "high priced". If you go to Atlantis, yes they are definitely high priced. (expect to pay $8 bucks for a cheap beer there).

It's an island that most of the food has to be imported on ship, pay customs duty, and then served to a "tourist based customer marketplace". So it's not cheap by any means. You're gonna pay more for food in the Bahamas than you are for comparable meals in the US.

I've not been super impressed at any of the places I've eaten in Nassau. and based on where you are staying might get different suggestions on going "all inclusive" or not. I personally wouldn't unless you plan on drinking a lot to make up for it. eating in the same places every day gets very old quickly.

Was thinking about early October. I know that is still hurricane season, but from what I have found here, it isnt too bad of a time. Any thoughts?

October is nice. It's still warm but not "freaking steaming hot".

I've been in November also. being wet on the beach might get a little chilled if windy. but still doable. The only issue with going in November is after daylight savings time change. so it gets dark a lot earlier, meaning less outdoor sunshine time.

As far as the taxi/rental car thing I was thinking other than dives. Would I be better parking my butt in a tourist area, and staying there taking the shuttle to dive, or renting a car/taxi to shuttle arount the island. I guess what I am asking, is there a good reason to rent a car to get around.

I've had mixed results with all inclusive places. I just got back from Coz this week, and stayed all inclusive. It was nice to park it by the pool and enjoy the afternoon without paying for drinks and snacks, but the dinners at the place I stayed were the same every night. Beer and food are prettty cheap in mexico so in Cozumel, I probably wont do all inclusive again.

Last year I stayed all inclusive in Costa Rica and we loved it. Lots of good food choices and a different menu every night. I dont think I could have done it much cheaper by going out. Especially with the alchohol.

Some places just seem to work out better all inclusive. At 8 bucks a beer, it wouldnt take alot of beers to make up the added cost of all inclusive in some locations.

Thanks for your input!

Jeff

As far as the taxi/rental car thing I was thinking other than dives. Would I be better parking my butt in a tourist area, and staying there taking the shuttle to dive, or renting a car/taxi to shuttle arount the island. I guess what I am asking, is there a good reason to rent a car to get around.

Depends on where yous stay (and where you want to go.)

if you stay at Orange Beach Inn, which is more remote, you might want a car. (I've neve stayed there and not the best person to answer this. perhaps some others who have stayed there can answer better).

From the "hotel district" (Wyndham, Sheraton, etc). on Cable Beach to downtown is a 5-10 minute ride. it ran about $12-$15 bucks in taxi fare depending on where exactly you went and which taxi it was, etc. In my opinion, a taxi ride to/from town would be $30 or less, which is less hassle than a rental car and less costs.

if you're staying at the Hilton, it's right on the port next to the to the flea market (junk tourist crap market) and the cruise boat pier.... you don't need a rental car from here. You can walk to anywhere downtown easily. (you can walk from Atlantis from here. but I'd say it's a good 20 minute walk through town. I'd go next door to the waterfront and take a water taxi over.)

Either way, if you want a car to go poke around the island for a day, then just rent it for the day. then you can say "been there.. done that.."

I've had mixed results with all inclusive places. [snip ]

Some places just seem to work out better all inclusive. At 8 bucks a beer, it wouldnt take alot of beers to make up the added cost of all inclusive in some locations.

I prob wouldn't go all inclusive anywhere in Nassau except maybe Atlantis. (and I'm saying that not knowing what the all inclusive packages at Atlantis cost. Atlantis is neat and cool, but it's EXTREMELY overpriced in my opinion.

the $8 Kalik beer was at Atlantis. I think a poolside daiquiri at the Wyndham was $5-$6 bucks.

I'm not a big fan of All Inclusives but I know the work great for some friends who do nothing but sit around the pool and drink $100 bucks of beer/booze a day. They come out "ahead" (financially).

about the only place I would typically suggest all inclusive outright would be resorts you never typically leave much. like when we go to Jamaica.

Orange hill inn is ok if you are with a group, but is very quiet if you are on your own.
Twin brothers is a good mid priced restaurant in the strip known as "Fish Fry". Busses are easy but stop running early. Stuart cove runs a great operation, but it will be busy. Be sure to do the shark feeding dive.

Just sitting in my room at Breezes dreading the return to the mainland tomorrow. My wife and I had a few days to kill before the rest of the summer trips, so we decided to come over for a 5 day, 4 night stay. My wife is not a diver, so the beach and pool were a big plus. Breezes sure isn't the ritz, but it isn't Howard Johnsons either. They have two onsite restaurants along with the main dining hall. The restaurants are sit down service with decent but limited menus while the main dining hall is buffet style. The food is not up to Cruise ships that I've been on, but its definitely better than most diners and beats golden corral. There is plenty to choose from. I particulary liked the breakfast offerings and the poolside grill that serves basic burgers, dogs, fries etc poolside during the day. We paid 1600 for the two of us, airfare from MIA included. I did the shark dive with Stuart Coves and had a great time. The facility is clean, organized and very well run. I brought my own gear, so I can't attest to their rental gear. The staff was very professional and we had a great time. The following day I dove with Bahamas Divers and signed up foor the mini blue hole dive. The shop is a little more rustic, not as large as stuart coves, but has more of that local dive shop feel. It reminded me of some of the shops in key largp. We dove off a 42 foot newton with a great crew. Seas were running 4-5 feet but they decided to take the 12 experienced divers anyway. BD is a normoxic only shop, you'll have to find your own Nitrox. I was disappointed in the mini bluehole, not much life in it and no real life on the walls. Good place for a controlled deep dive if you have your buoyancy nailed, pretty boring otherwise. We made a stop at Barracuda reef for the shallow part of the trip. Not bad little patch reef area. Some pretty cool corals and smaller inhabitants. I love hanging out and letting the fish coming to me, I wasn't disappointed.
Long and the short of it, not a bad trip. Breezes is as good as you let it be and both dive ops have thier plusses and minuses. The one thing everyplace had was a staff with a fantastic attitude and the willingness to make the stay enjoyable.

Thanks everyone for our input. Trying to figure out a budget now and then I can start planning. Looking at early October unless someone convinces me otherwise.

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom