Trying to get started

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

serambin

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just received my new Oly PT-019 for my 5000c Oly camera. What is the the best/most affordable strobe attachment for this rig? I am going on a dive trip to Roatan the first week of June and would like to use the camera.

Any suggestions? I am an experienced photographer on land, but not in water.

Stan

I would suggest something like an Inon D2000 / D2000S or if this is too expensive the Sea & Sea YS25 Auto. These strobes have served me well and my students also.
Of course if you are going to step-up later to something more advanced, then consider the Inon Z240 (which will also suit DSLR) or Sea and Sea YS110.

I just purchased a Sea&Sea YS27DX ... newer version of the YS25. Got an arm, base and the strobe for $365. It fits your "most affordable" catagory and will work well with your photographic skills as it is a manual strobe...ie you set the output. The Inon's will be your most scalable strobe along with Ikelite but both are more money.

Cheers,
Gary

Hi Serambin - I have used the same setup for some 2 years and without strobe (3 weeks ago, I got YS-110, see below). You can get pretty good pictures as is, but shoot in full manual mode. Start with shutter speed of 1/125th and aperture of 5.6. Leave the shutter speed fixed and change the aperture according to conditions (should be fine in the clear waters of Roatan). Ideal distance to subject about 24-30" and leave in macro. Although in exceptional clarity, I've had images up to 50'. Adjust white balance to red by about 4 clicks. Also, get photoshop (usually just fine tuning brightness/contrast).
Now to strobe as mentioned above - not a very satisfactory experience. The YS-110 has two manual settings 1 & 2, plus DS-TTL (slave mode, on), and TTL (slave Mode, off and used with TTL cable). Manual 1 is for pre-flash cameras. In synchronisation test, manual 1 seems to be the setting for the Oly 5000. Except, it only flashes once when setup. To get it to flash again, you have to turn off, wait a while then turn on again. The strobe flashes everytime in manual 2, but no pictures (synchronisation??). I am presently shooting in DS-TTL with slave mode on and with fiber optic cable. An arrangement not mentioned in strobe manual. However, in this mode, the 12 manual output settings are disabled. Camera preflash malfunctioning?? Or, some incompatibility with strobe?? Macro shots are going to be burnt out (will have to peel off mask and shoot on internal). Not a happy camper. Having said this, I've already had a couple shots in murky waters, that would not have been possible with the internal strobe.

Hopefully, I am better positioned for an upgrade (whenever).

Reefhugger,
Sounds like you either got a bad strobe or the preflash isn't compatible with the camera. LarryC has the strobe connected to an SP350 and is doing well. You might have to get the athena cable or the matthew heinrichs adapter and hardwire the strobe.

In any case, I just bought the fully manual YS27DX and around the house I'm lovin' it. I posted this earlier "I just purchased a Sea&Sea YS27DX ... newer version of the YS25. Got an arm, base and the strobe for $365." However, Today I noticed the vendor changed their price to $550 like everyone else. :D :D I told my wife I had to buy it because they either had an error in their price or it was an incredible sale. In either case, I got a pretty good deal.

Thanks Gary for your comments. I mentioned my strobe woes, so that Serambin could check out the possible compatability issue thoroughly, before buying the YS-110 - like seeing the rig works in the shop before buying. If it does, the size and light output is fine - good power and even, without hot spots and without diffuser.

And yes, the Sp-350 is heading a short list.

As to your purchase - you must have some heavy duty pull upstairs......and then I saw your user name :D .

Back
Top Bottom