Trying to find a balance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marque

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My gf and I are looking to go on a short (5 day 4 night or about that) vacation. Leaving from NY. I'm a diver AOW, I can usually get her to snorkel. Her main requirements are nice beaches, and a big bath tub. I'm looking for at least one good day of diving (2-3 dives would be great). Budget is limited, I'd like to be around $1500 all in, but can do $2000 for someplace really perfect. Our last trip was Barbados staying at the Crane which was an amazing hotel, the diving was ok.

I've perused the board and its still hard to figure out where to go. Looking to go sometime in the next month or so.

Thanks,
Marque

marque,
welcome to this board.
please, go to the cozumel forum.
searching there you will read info about resorts and their pkgs.
cozumel palace offers each room with a large hot tub.
they might be a little pricey, with your budget.
regards,

My gf and I are looking to go on a short (5 day 4 night or about that) vacation. Leaving from NY. I'm a diver AOW, I can usually get her to snorkel. Her main requirements are nice beaches, and a big bath tub. I'm looking for at least one good day of diving (2-3 dives would be great). Budget is limited, I'd like to be around $1500 all in, but can do $2000 for someplace really perfect. Our last trip was Barbados staying at the Crane which was an amazing hotel, the diving was ok.

I've perused the board and its still hard to figure out where to go. Looking to go sometime in the next month or so.

Thanks,
Marque

Cozumel is probably the cheapest place to go and you can probably find a hotel with a tub, but most have showers only. Beaches, on the other hand, are not equated with good diving locations... you usually have either one or the other.
Cozumel vacation package special dive package rates with Bay Adventures

or check out Cancun
lots of pretty beaches and nice hotels there

Just across the water from Cozumel is Playa del Carmen, you might could find what you are looking for there. (Fly into Cancun)
check out:
Playa del Carmen info
Geofish Dive - Scuba Diving, Snorkeling & PADI Instruction in Playa del Carmen & Cozumel, Mexico
Playa del Carmen Diving, Dive Packages and Fishing in Playa del Carmen, Cozumel and the Riviera Maya, Mexico - Fantasea Dive

robin:D

Yeah I know the beach vs. dive site. I'm also not really new to the board. I had another account but don't have the password or the associated email anymore so I set up a new account.

The GF is not keen on Mexico... I tried that one already.

~Marque

Yeah I know the beach vs. dive site. I'm also not really new to the board. I had another account but don't have the password or the associated email anymore so I set up a new account.

The GF is not keen on Mexico... I tried that one already.

~Marque

If she doesn't like Mexico, then you are looking at either Fla or Bahamas since you have such short vacation time. Ft Lauderdale/Palm Beach/Boynton Beach areas might work well. Bahamas are more expensive but flying from your area you might can get a direct flight.

robin:D

I'm in the same situation as you. My wife wont dive, she will "usually" snorkel also. We also travel on a budget.
We stayed at Paradise Beach Resort on Virgin gorda a few years back. Its a beautiful setting, really nice place. Back in the 50's Rockefeller built two resorts on VG, Little Dix Bay and PBR. The villas are identical they were built from the same blueprint. LDB has lots of units, maybe 30 or so but its way out of your price rang, mine too. PBR has 8 buildings and a beautiful beach with fantastic snorkeling. Its 200 a night and it comes with a car, but the owner is very negotiable. I got him down to $135. He's a really nice guy, my wife and I spent a lot of time talking to him and his wife. We were very jealous of there situation, managing the villas and living on the island, what a life!!
aont4p

I have got to agree with your wife, compared to a place like this Cozumel has no natural beauty.

PBR sits on Mango bay. There is a lot of reef to be explored. The water is only about 7' deep 200 yards out, it's fantastic snorkeling!
313qfde.jpg

Nice beach too.
1z4yf44.jpg

The villas are nice, nothing extravagant but nice. They were built in the 50's so there not new. We didn't have a tub, some of the units were being remodeled I think they have tub's. The owner (cant remember his name) asked us if we were all set. I said no I need the key. He laughed "Theres no locks here". They built the places at LDB without locks too. Theft is not a problem on that island, thats one of the things we liked about it. You can also drive around drinking a beer, no law against that I was told.
10fdzew.jpg

The villas have a kitchen. food is very expensive there so we went to the store and stocked up for breakfast and lunch. The pub like restaurants at the marina aren't too bad for dinner. Theres a adorable lady in the bakery at the grocery store. She makes and sells "spicy bread" If she has any left buy some.That made our evenings very interesting. Its probably illegal in most country's other than Amsterdam.
2gxjixk.jpg

VG is a beautiful island but very expensive hard to do VG on a budget. We managed to do it on the same budget you have. Oh yeah, the baths have really good snorkeling too. you guys can go there to snorkel, the baths are a fun place to go.
2rhrchv.jpg

The diving is good also. Its definitely a place I would like to dive again. Mark

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and advice. Thanks Fishi for the photos and all those details!

~Marque

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom