Trying Force Fins for the first time.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harro10

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After years of using Blades then Velocitys I am going to try Force Fin Pros for the first time on a week long trip to Cozumel in 9 days. My son has used them for 12 years and loves them. A LDS owner told me years ago that someone of my size (195 lbs) should not use them but he may have been talking through his hat since he did not carry them. My son tells me that I have to commit to them to learn the somewhat new kick so I am not going to even bring any other fins. I was a bit nervous about trying them in the strong currents off Cozumel but after reading many comments on this Board I do not think it will be a problem and am looking forwards to trying something new (to me).

Once I have started to use them I love them. I use the standard force fin for open water diving in tropical water and the pro force fin (a little extra stiffness, snap) for when I use my dry suit.

A LDS owner told me years ago that someone of my size (195 lbs) should not use them but he may have been talking through his hat since he did not carry them. .

You hit the nail on the head. He's a naughty little man. tut! tut!

Force fins are awesome. Allow a few dives to get used to the sensation...it doesn't feel like you have fins on when you kick!

A bit over-hyped (but what isn't these days?) and a bit steep on price (ditto) however I started using a pair for the first time on a first trip to the S. Pacific and I really like them. A lot. I'm about in the same weight range, no problem going where I want, got used to them on the first dive.

Like Andy says, it doesn't feel like you have them on. (I'm getting better at resisiting the urge to suddenly turn & look for a lost fin!) I found them especially manueverable for photography and general diving. (On a long surface swim I am on my back, they work better that way for me.) They are also a great travel fin for size and weight. I had been perfectly happy w/ my previous fins (dare I mention they were Bio-Fins?) but am even happier with these and recently sold the splits. // ww

Harro 10 - Great to hear you are not only trying out Force Fins, but diving in Cozumel. Have a great time and I look forward to hearing more about your dive trip and your Force Fin experience.

Thanks to all the members who posted and shared your story. All the info and support is much appreciated!

Blair, Thanks for holding down everything at Force Fin while we were gone. Even our Dog Bonita, seems spoiled, like our trip to the Soul of the South Seas, Tahiti, French Polynesia and the South Pacific. I have jumped into this post...since Susanne and I meet some every Fun Divers (Why Not?) and one of them asked if would he try my Tan Delta Force fin's xxl. I weight 240 (going to change that number, once I keep diving). I had a chance to dive his Flat, Heavy, Paddle fin with Spring straps. He felt nothing on his feet and was amazed at the power. I on the other hand was quickly reminded of my years diving in the Jet Fin. To reach his own. Blair with "out hype" you expose the true function of using a pair of Force fin's, Freedom. Wait till you help us put up some amazing photo's. Thanks Harro10 and smart son.

Blair, Thanks for holding down everything at Force Fin while we were gone.

Blair got me to order a pair yesterday :cool2:
...and now he has to ship them half way around the planet.

Thanks again Blair,
Dave

I got force fins a few years ago, and have never looked back. I dive challenging conditions and they have never let me down. Enjoy them.

Two things I didn't mention. My Bio-Fins were heavy enough uw (even heavier above, duh!) that I always added extra shoulder pocket weight to my bc to compensate. No more and trim is now better. The other thing that needs to be mentioned is if more divers used them I bet more reefs would appreciate it.

Look around next time you are stuck in a crowd or pass other divers. Those with long, flexible fins, especially if they are holding a camera, will often be clueless about where their fin tips are. Some are REAL clueless and are seriously banging up the reef. If you ask them later (warning: approach carefully!), they will argue they were no where near touching the reef. With longer fins, especially with soft tips, you can't feel things like coral. Even careful divers trying to be aware won't always notice.

Force Fins not only have great control but provide a great "situational awareness" factor. Being shorter than most fins and stiffer you can quickly become a much more reef conscious diver and avoid impact damage. Hmmm, "Save our reefs, dive Force Fins!" wouldn't exactly be hype now, would it?? :eyebrow: // ww

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom