Truk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Magus

Reaction score
Hello

I really would like to visit Truk for diving. Could you let me know about high/low seasons and your comments on dive providers!!

Thanks indeed
Magus

Magus:
Hello

I really would like to visit Truk for diving. Could you let me know about high/low seasons and your comments on dive providers!!

Thanks indeed
Magus

I had a very bad experience with 'Blue Lagoon', a good one with 'Truk stop', and an excellant one with the 'Odyssey'.

If I was going back on a budget Id dive shore based with Truk stop but Id stay at the Blue lagoon resort (best accomodation) If money is not an issue Id go Odyssey LOB.

DrMike:
I had a very bad experience with 'Blue Lagoon', a good one with 'Truk stop', and an excellant one with the 'Odyssey'.

If I was going back on a budget Id dive shore based with Truk stop but Id stay at the Blue lagoon resort (best accomodation) If money is not an issue Id go Odyssey LOB.

Got confused...U stated that had "very bad experience with Blue Lagoon" & then say that it is best accomodation???

Magus:
Got confused...U stated that had "very bad experience with Blue Lagoon" & then say that it is best accomodation???

Blue lagoon is a resort with a dive shop. The resort is good the dive shop isnt (IMO)

If you go for a liveaboard, do the Odyssey. One of the best I've done anywhere - accommodation/food/service/diving - all first class. Worth every cent.

Did it last October. Difference between land-based and onboard is black and white, no comparison.

Enjoy!

Seadeuce

Dr Mike
when staying at Truk Stop, which dive operator did you use. I was there in 2000 and used the local mob next door. We did very much a rec type trip and it was good enough for that, although briefings normally consisted of a shrug and a smile.
The guides i found at that time said Blue lagoon sucked and truk stop had a great restaurant. We found the oposite to be true, truk stop had limited menu and food was average, however a trip down to blue lagoon gave us quite a suprise. The yard out the back of the truk stop got christened the "Dead Dog" bar as there was a dead dog floating next to it, despite us mentioning it several times to the manager (not local).

knowing what i know now i think the LOB seems better option, particularly as the night like in truk revolves around the youngsters watching us drinking. Did manage to pick up some of the local lingo though, 'Tefuk' is a use phrase for making people go away

Magus:
Hello

Thanks indeed
Magus
I dove with the Thorfinn and would go back in a heartbeat.

The cabins are quite large by live aboard standards.. The food was excellent(and plenty of it), and I loved the idea that he only puts a max of 6 divers on any dive site and breaks the divers up into skill levels so the more experienced divers aren't limited by the newbies..

If you are a deep diver its (thorfinn) a great choice.. since the best sites are deep and the Agressor only does it during a tech week when the whole boat is rented out as such.. The odyssey has a similiar policy but it slightly more flexible and during a tech week they dont have restrictions.

The following great dives are deep (please ignore all the spelling mistakes I am sure to make)

San Francisco maro
shotan maru
aikoku maru
Shinkoku maru (pretty sure it was deep)
oite
There are a few others..

To Padiscubapro: Thanks a lot for the info... I am planning to go particularly to Thorfinn - do you know about high/low season there... Thorfinn quotes me that it is round year diving place. I am sure that it is indeed but what about other factors (eg plankton etc)

Thanks!

Magus:
To Padiscubapro: Thanks a lot for the info... I am planning to go particularly to Thorfinn - do you know about high/low season there... Thorfinn quotes me that it is round year diving place. I am sure that it is indeed but what about other factors (eg plankton etc)

Thanks!

Yes its truely a year round location... the conditions do not vary much thought the year, certain parts of the year you will get more rain but who cares....

Albion:
Dr Mike
when staying at Truk Stop, which dive operator did you use. I was there in 2000 and used the local mob next door. We did very much a rec type trip and it was good enough for that, although briefings normally consisted of a shrug and a smile.
The guides i found at that time said Blue lagoon sucked and truk stop had a great restaurant. We found the oposite to be true, truk stop had limited menu and food was average, however a trip down to blue lagoon gave us quite a suprise. The yard out the back of the truk stop got christened the "Dead Dog" bar as there was a dead dog floating next to it, despite us mentioning it several times to the manager (not local).

knowing what i know now i think the LOB seems better option, particularly as the night like in truk revolves around the youngsters watching us drinking. Did manage to pick up some of the local lingo though, 'Tefuk' is a use phrase for making people go away

I didnt stay at Truk stop - I dived with them (They run the dive shop next door and the dive breifing consisted of the teling us the ships name) but during that time I stayed at Blue Lagoon Resort - I know that bar very well!

I also did a week LOB on the Odyssey that was totally brilliant and by far the best way to go.

Didnt have any depth limit on Odyssey-but then again we were a private charter for rebreather divers only so that 'might' have been a reason - I dont know if they have any policy against it - I doubt it.

Personnaly I could never see the point in staying on the Thorfin. It very rarely moves and you have to get to the dive site by a tender. Dont see the point, may as well go land based and save a buck. The Odyssey sits over each wreck for the duration (or in the case of the deep dives we did repeats on like the San Fran all day) that meant divers can go down at their own time. Cool at times to be the only diver(s) down on some of these wrecks.

The main selling point on the Thorfinn may be that you can actually get spaces - whereas it seems the Odyssey is often booked up years in advance - for a good reason.

The agressor is a small boat, dont know how many divers it takes but I hope its not too many.

...Damn Im supposed to be diving now. Got a delay for 24 hours :frown2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom