Truk liveaboard - anything besides wrecks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cageybob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an opportunity (last minute) to do a Truk Odyssey liveaboard in March. It's definitely not cheap! Is there anything to see besides wrecks? I do understand that it is the main attraction and a very good one at that. I am just afraid of getting into the 3rd or 4th day and wanting to see something besides a sunken ship or plane. I've seen some interesting pix online of coral growth on some of the wrecks. Is there any decent marine life to see - i.e. large pelagics, interesting macro critters, etc? Or is predominately wreck diving?

Check with your operator as to the planned dives since they are probably not going to drive the boat somewhere just becasue you want to go there, but there is superb reef diving at Chuk and there are several passes and reefs along the outer wall of the atoll where pelagic sharks and fish are frequently seen.

You can spend your entire week shooting macro on the wrecks if you wanted. They are incredibly encrusted with marine growth. Think of the wrecks as the reef base with the reef growing in unusually geometric formations :wink: However, I think wide-angle is a bit better to catch the incredible growth on these ships. Some of the prettiest soft corals outside Fiji you could hope for, for example

But inside the lagoon, not a lot of pelagics - perhaps you can talk them into one day of pass or outer lagoon diving, however.

If you want to see my gallery from April, 2007, go to AmberWavesPhotography

I have two trip reports and photos on my blog.

Mostly wrecks, the outer reefs might include a shark feed (depending on weather), but the reef areas got beat up in a storm and aren't very interesting to dive anymore other than the feed.

But tons of life and all very interesting to see.

Jack

I agree with previous posts. The wrecks have a plethora of marine life, and I found that just like reefs, the deeper wreck have different flora and fauna than the shallow wrecks. I did 2 "reef" dives the last time I was there, and for the most part they are very pristine compared to most reefs I have dived. Not much interest in the reefs of Chuuk I guess.

Hi,

I am looking into a shore based trip to Chuuk early next year.
I have approx 100 dives (AOWD & Nitrox). Will be travelling alone

How many of the Chuuk wrecks involve deep penetrations?

I am not too comfortable about entering smallish confined spaces underwater, entering large holds is fine.
Did not enjoy the Dunraven penetration and that was a small swim through.

Is this the standard in Chuuk. How likely is it that I will be stuck outside the hull while the guide enters the wreck?

I am planning to do Palau & Chuuk. The main attraction for me is to photo the various wrecks from the outside.
Would appreciate any feedback as this trip will be expensive & involve a lot of travel.

Thanks
Kevin

There is generally more than 1 guide in the water at any time, so if the guide is doing a penetration you're not comfortable with, you can stay with the other guide if you wish outside, or explore on your own. Like you, I am not comfortable in the smaller spaces, but there were lots of larger holds to go into with interesting artifacts, and never once did I feel "stuck" on the hull. There are options, and the hulls themselves are fascinating and beautiful.

People go to Truk for the wrecks, to be sure. We did see some pelagics in the lagoon in August this year. Spotted eagle rays at 130 feet at the Nippo Maru and an incredible encounter with dolphins on our safety stop at the Hoki Maru. There is a picture at Scuba with Spruce.Net

It is amazing to see how much the coral has grown in 63 years on some of these encrusted wrecks. Go there for the wrecks and the history, you might get lucky with some bonus sightings.

The Odyssey was the right way to do it. As with all live-aboards, might seem expensive but you get all the food, lodging and nitrogen you can handle. Captain Mike and crew did a awesome job.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom