TRUK LAGOON

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks. Have to admit I did not take these - another diver was nice enough to forward them to me.

Truk is the greatest place for wreck diving. Plenty of artifacts still present, even after 70 years. Diving on the Odyssey was a real pleasure. We had only five guests on board due to a late cancellation! A little too quiet for me though - could have used a few more people.

Not much mega fauna there though. Only a few sharks and rays.Beautiful anemone were present, including the bright pink ones, which I believe are fairly rare.

Make sure to bring a good flashlight - you will be spending plenty of time inside the wrecks! Also, be prepared to dive deeper than normal. We regularly got down to 130+ ft. The last dive, the San Francisco, was at 160 ft., deeper than I ever expected to go. Pretty well run though, with extra tanks on the deck and hung midway up. Dive masters were great with the decompression stops. Also, the Odyssey has an extra air supply for your safety stop. So plenty of air.

One really nice thing about the Odyssey is that there is a lift you stand on to get you out of the water. Much nicer than climbing a ladder. This saved a lot of energy.

Almost no current in Truk Lagoon. Visibility was 50-100 ft depending on where you were. When you are diving on a 500 ft wreck this means you can not see the whole ship.

The Lagoon is already etched in my calendar, I cannot wait. I dive out of Guam, so it's just a hop away. Thank you for this post. It definitely has me wanting to go a lot more now.

- Nick

Thanks, excellent article.

Truk is not only great for wrecks but also macro, some wrecks stick out of the water (just over) and can spend time working the little critters on the way up.

Visibility wise try getting there in between seasons, wet is calm but water vis not all that great, dry windy. Either way, plenty of places to hide and be in calm conditions. One of my favorite destinations !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom