Truk Lagoon - The real story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I are heading there the end of November,08 for a week at the Blue Lagoon. Then on on to Palau. Any suggestions as far as things to take other than the normal dive gear? I was told to bring cash as there are a limited amount of banks/teller machines to resupply... How about using credit cards on the island. Are they readily excepted? What are your thoughts on taking Tech classes there? I would like to dive the San Fransisco Maru, but it sounds like it is below the "rec" limit. Any suggestions as far as dive sights that you would recommend would be great.
Truk has been on my "bucket list" since I started diving way back when......

I'm not sure but I don't think you can really get any tech training at Blue Lagoon. They will probably take you to the San Fransisco however if you want. Truk Stop always took people there even though I personally recommended against it without training. The new Instructior at Truk Stop is tech certified to teach.

My favorite dives included the Fujikawa, Yamagiri and Momokawa.

Small gifts like school supplies are always welcome in undeveloped countries as someone else said. There is really no place to spend much money other than the dive operation and hotel and they do take credit cards. You can get a cash advance at the bank just like at ATM withdrawal is you wait in line long enough.

Maybe the divemaster at Blue Lagoon is different than those at Truk Stop but I'd split the tips myself to ensure proper distribution. These guys make almost nothing so tips are really appreciated.

Have a great time and be safe.

Chuck

Having dove Truk in 2003 and now planning to go back in 2010, NCChuck's assessment is pretty much spot on. Outside those in the diving industry there, alcoholism and apathy seemed rampant in the local population with many living on American subsidies (no reason to get a job or become productive).

There was no chamber in Truk in 2003 and I don't think they have one now. Anyone considering those deep wrecks ought to be extra conservative because all the land based ops WILL take you there upon request. And you'll fly to Guam at great expense if you get bent (which you really don't want to do).

Tipping - we did a week long liveaboard (the Truk Aggressor II has since moved to Sulawesi) and four days with Blue Lagoon Resort / Dive Shop. We tipped the Blue Lagoon staff directly.

Last edited:
When I dove the SF Maru I was the only person trained accordingly. Most others were not and relied on their computers. The general guideline was 165 feet (50m) max for 20 minutes. With deco for whatever your computer said. The DM hung out at 150' or with an extra bottle of gas just incase. I should also note that at three of use were diving doubles, the others had a single 119 cuft.

A general rule is that you should not dive any deeper than the capacity of your cylinder. ie. 120 cuft == 120' max depth.

Oh if you are staying at the Blue Lagoon - the grounds are very nice. The cats are great. Bring your own dvds as there is not much else.

Back
Top Bottom