Truk - getting there

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubahound_1

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Somebody in the travel field help me out here. What days/time/etc. are the best times to go to Truk during the dry season? Ran some searches on Qixo and others and had outrageous layovers. Leaving from LAX, is the Honolulu/Guam/Truk route the only way?

Pretty much. There's a route that goes to Tokyo then Guam; and then there is the island hopper that hops from Hawaii to Guam, with 5 or so stops.

There was a fairly good flight over from Houston; with only a couple hours in Honolulu, and a couple more in Guam [and you definately -want- the breaks]. The flight back was a mess because flights got cancelled and we ended up with 14 hours or so in Honolulu on the way back. IIRC the flight we were supposed to be on didn't have much layovers on the return.

The key I think comes down to what -day- you are going. We got to Truk sunday evening, and the departure flight was supposed to be -early- monday morning. There's not a lot of flights in and out of Chuuk, and knowing how to fit into those schedules will cut the layovers down signifigantly.

Americans still don't need passports to go there? Or am I off on this one now with our post 9/11 days.

You also now (at least as of April when I was there) need passports to get into Guam from Hawaii, plus go through passport control security. Used to be able just to "check in" with passport control (and just show a photo ID with birth certificate) then proceed directly to your gate, but TSA cracked down and you have to go through security just like everyone else.

marpacifica:
You also now (at least as of April when I was there) need passports to get into Guam from Hawaii, plus go through passport control security. Used to be able just to "check in" with passport control (and just show a photo ID with birth certificate) then proceed directly to your gate, but TSA cracked down and you have to go through security just like everyone else.

What's the deal, it's a Guam is US territory? Maybe because it's close to Indonesia? Or maybe because there is a alot of military there.

I am planning a trip for my store and want to make the layovers as short as possible. What is the fastest route leaving from LAX? Also what days are best, I need to be on the Odyssey and they leave/return on Sundays.

scubahound_1:
I am planning a trip for my store and want to make the layovers as short as possible. What is the fastest route leaving from LAX? Also what days are best, I need to be on the Odyssey and they leave/return on Sundays.

Did you check with Trip-n-Tour, I used them to get to Oz a couple years ago and there was a 40 min. on Hawaii and a 25 min. on Guam. This year I have about the same for PNG.

scubahound_1:

You are going to have a "day off" on the Sunday after your charter... you will likely leave Chuuk on a silly 1 am flight to Guam. My advice is book a room at the hotel on Weno and relax there... take a bike ride. Snooze and then get ready for a long journey. Lay over in Guam will be long... worth joining the president's club to be able to make use of the lounge facilities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom