Truk & Bikini Trip Report, Part 1...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Jim

Contributor
Reaction score
This is part one of my report on my trip to Truk & Bikini, you lucky people.

I thought it would be best to break it down into various sections, and these I have done by way of layovers - where ever we had a break in our journey, that is where that section of the trip report ends. I will therefore be able to show you accumulative mileage/airtime, as we did some serious flying to accomplish this trip!

Wednesday 30 April 2003
So part 1 starts in London and finishes in LA. Boring, you say? The trip hadn’t even started, and it was already getting interesting! I had arranged for the 11 of us who were doing the same itinerary all the way through to meet up at Heathrow 3 hours prior to departure, so that we could get through check-in smoothly and without any hiccups. This all went according to plan, and we then retired to some Irish theme pub airside and had a few alcoholic refreshments. It was then that one of our group, Ian, came up with scowl on his face like a bear with a sore head. It transpired that while he had remembered all his diving gear, clothes, video camera housing etc etc, he had left his video camera at home.
"If I haven’t got my camera, there's no point me coming," he said. "I'm going home."
"Well, you won’t get your money back, Ian," I replied. "Why not get your mother (who was looking after his house) to courier it to Honolulu?"
"What if it doesn’t get there? What if it gets broken?" And other negativities flowed. So, we phoned his Mum, she wrapped it all up, DHL picked up that afternoon, and poor old Ian was wandering round looking all grumpy and moody. "I'm going home" became our catch phrase (directed at Ian) for the trip. So, we had some more beers and boarded the flight to LA. We flew Air New Zealand as it was only £10 more expensive than Virgin and I was guaranteed and upgrade! (There's method in my madness!)

We arrived at LA and had the pleasure of dealing with those charming people who are the US Immigration Department. If any group of people were ever to make one feel as unwelcome as possible, it has to be them.
"What is the purpose of your visit to Los Angeles at this time?" I was asked.
"To go to Hawaii," I responded.
"And what is the purpose of your visit to Honolulu?" I was again asked.
"To go to Truk. Now give me a stamp in my passport, yes, there, page 23, after all it's a new passport with no visas in, so page 23 seems the logical place to stamp it…"

All was going smoothly until it transpired that Sharon had entered the US of A in 1996 and her green visa waiver thingy had not been removed on her departure by the immigration/airline/whoever's job it is and so according to US Immigration she had outstayed her visa. She was then hauled into a back room for an hour, grilled by the Gestapo, I mean Dept of Interrogation, I mean Immigration, and finally let through.

We hopped on the shuttle bus and went to the Four Points Sheraton at LAX Airport. Shock Horror! The reservations had been processed correctly! (I know I shouldn't say this, but take it from me, working in the travel industry, you can always rely on the Americans to foul up a hotel reservation! Making a reservation for 7 rooms for 1 night took 3 faxes and 6 emails to this place!) Rooms sorted, we went to the bar and had some drinks and then a snack. Bed beckoned as our body clocks told us it was late at night.

Ian was, by this time, a veritable bundle of irritation, and we all had a pleasant night's sleep dreaming of ways to get rid of him.

FIRST LEG:
Distance: 5442 miles
Air Time: 11hr 15m

Accumulated distance: 5442 miles
Accumulated Air Time: 11hr 15m

Next Installment of our Grande Trippe: To Hawaii and Pearl Harbour!

Franckckck, bless him.

Yes, he would have been useful on that trip. No Frenchies for 3 and a half weeks!

We did, however, get to eat lots of Freedom Fires & Freedom Toast, but I did not get to do any Freedom Kissing or buy any Freedom Letters.

I say, your trip is off with some ripping English humor which I quite enjoy, ....
..I am looking forward to more installments :wink:

Diving is fun?
Caymanaic

I travelled to Bikini last year through Guam where they put some sort of form in my passport. Then on to the holiday and back through Guam - through the ticketing process, through passport control and when I try and get on the plane they accuse me of false declararation (1 day stay - 14 days later) or some such - this is the 6th check by somone and I had a second form for coming back into Guam and it's me that is wrong :confused:

Look forward to the rest of the stories, let's hope Ian's camera turns up....

Jonathan

Back
Top Bottom