TRUK and YAP in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish:
Actually, what happend was, I told Mike about the wet one from Theo, from Almighty, and said I'll just tell you about it but let Theo handle the real thing. Mike kind of got shy and suggested we do a night dive together. Naturally I declined. Must be a western Candian traditon or something. Long winters I guess:10:

:rofl3:

pilot fish:
Actually, what happend was, I told Mike about the wet one from Theo, from Almighty, and said I'll just tell you about it but let Theo handle the real thing. Mike kind of got shy and suggested we do a night dive together. Naturally I declined. Must be a western Candian traditon or something. Long winters I guess:10:

:rofl3:

Now that the jet lag has quit lagging, I'm ready to post some comments about my Palau/Yap trip.

First Palau: It just doesn't get any better than this! I feel like I've climbed the Mt. Everest of diving. The Big Blue Explorer and crew was the best live-aboard I've ever been on, and I've been on a few; well organized, great crew, excellent food, and good accommodations. The diving?---I never thought I would see the day when I would get picky as to which shark I was going to video. We hooked in to Blue Corner 3 times during the week and each one was spectacular---a real shark-fest with large schools of jacks, barracudas, and sundry other species plying the currents. When we hooked in on Peleliu Express, I swear I got high feeling the power of the water rushing against and past me, and again a real shark-fest of white tips, black tips, and grays---not just one or two at a time, but 5 and six and more. Riding the currents through German Channal and dropping through the Virgin Blue Hole and exploring Chandelier Cavern was awesome. The wall diving was the bets. They were full of all kinds of soft corals, turtles, and enormous Napoleon Wrass, schooling fish of all kinds both big and small. There is much more I could say, but to wrap it up,---Don't die without diving Palau

Second, Yap: Manta Bay Resort is a great place to dive from. Bill really has his act together there; fast boats, well organized, great facilities. However, I was a little disappointed in the diving. I honestly thought that when I backrolled off the boat, I would see manta after manta, not knowing which way to point the cam. Not the case. Either this dive is overhyped, or I just ran into a couple of bad days. We dove Middle Channel twice on the first day and my only sighting was a distant shadow. The viz was disappointing and only got worse on the second dive as the tide turned---it was almost like diving an Ohio quarry. Any manta would have had to be about 20 ft. from me to see. The first dive on the second day was better; the viz was better and I acutally saw either 4 mantas or the same manta 4 times. One time he came so close, I could have reached out an touched him. great video shot. The second dive was like the second dive on the first day---bad viz and no mantas.
One day left---We all thought this was going to be the day. The seas calmed down, and when we got on sight, you could tell the viz was really good. We started gearing up when our boat driver got a message from another Yap Divers boat telling us to check our air. We did. All the tanks were contaminated. That was the end of Yap diving for me. Three Yap Divers boats made their way back through the mangrove to the resort with a lot of disappointed divers. The rest of that morning, all you could hear was the hissing of about 200 tanks emptying themselves.

Now I know "stuff happens", but I was disappointed and a little upset because of what happened to me on the third dive of the previous day. I rolled off the skiff and started my descent. I could taste something in the air, sort of a burned rubber or model airplane glue tast. I should have aborted the dive right there, but I didn't. Fortunately, I was in shallow water, not deeper than about 25 ft. After about 10 min. I started feeling a real dryness and slight burning in my throat. I found Gordon, our DM and signaled him to come with me to the surface. When we got there I told him what I was experiencing and he took my reg, placed it to his nose and smelled the air. His immediate words were "bad air" and signaled the boat to come to us. We drove over to another Yap Diver boat that had a spare tank. I opened the valve and smelled the air and it was ok. I finished the dive on that tank. I feel the next day's disappointment could have been avoided if Gordon and the boat driver reported the incident of what happened to me. They never told anyone; not Jon, Bill, or anybody in authority. Logically, you would think that the chances of having more bad tanks would exists if there was one found in the batch. Maybe too much beetlenut or something. (I did find out later that there were about 3 or 4 other divers who did experience the bad air situation, but did not abort the dive) So, that night they filled about 200 tanks with contaminated air. Bummer!
Pilot fish and I were taking a walk that afternoon, and when we came back from the internet cafe, we took a shortcut through the backside of the resort where the compressors are located. I came around the corner and was hit by a familiar ordor. Some guys were making some kind of fiberglass forms using epoxy glue; I almost had a flashback when I smelled the ordor. Jon happened to be close by so I infomed him of this. I asked him where the compressor's intake was located and he pointed in the direction that the wind was blowing for the last two days and immediately shut down the operation. I did not dive any more because I was afraid that maybe some residue may have coated the tanks, and I didn't want to be breathing that stuff and 80 ft. where the mantas hang out. Thus I packed my gear, had beer or two and prepared for the "hell" of a 25 hr. jet ride back to Ohio.

Oh, by the way, I finally met the famous Mike V. and actually got to dive with him. Not only that, but he let me handle his video housing and cam while under. Now I'm ready to spend 13k and go HD. Thanks Mike for the experience and the clips.

Thanks for your report! hmmmm - may have to go to palau now!

we did yap last april... timed it around full moons so we had 8am dives and lots of mantas.

the air thing sucks....did you set your own gear up and not check your tanks before leaving the docks??

Barracuda2:
...... but he let me handle his video housing and cam while under........
in some cultures this is a sign of true love... :rofl3:

Barracuda2:
..... Now I'm ready to spend 13k and go HD. ....
oh no! after this will be a rebreather - trust me!

will catch up with pics tonight!

mmmmmm - warm water!!

pilot fish:

Bwahahahhahahahahha, :rofl3:

What did Manta Ray do for you for the missed dives from the contaminated tanks? Seems to me that your party, and you and I, thought it was more serious than the staff and owner did?

Did you like that early morning flight out? Has to be a better way. That alone would deter me from returning.

As I look back on my trip I realize, after speaking with you and the rest of the divers that had been to Palau, that I should have gone to Palau after Truk, instead of Yap. Next time Palau. Yes, the vis on Yap was a disappointment. The vis on the second dive in Mil Channel is very low, due to tide change etc. A manta would have to be right ovrerhead for you to get a good shot of it.

Welcome home Barracuda2.

Barracuda2:
Now that the jet lag has quit lagging, I'm ready to post some comments about my Palau/Yap trip.

First Palau: It just doesn't get any better than this! I feel like I've climbed the Mt. Everest of diving. The Big Blue Explorer and crew was the best live-aboard I've ever been on, and I've been on a few; well organized, great crew, excellent food, and good accommodations. The diving?---I never thought I would see the day when I would get picky as to which shark I was going to video. We hooked in to Blue Corner 3 times during the week and each one was spectacular---a real shark-fest with large schools of jacks, barracudas, and sundry other species plying the currents. When we hooked in on Peleliu Express, I swear I got high feeling the power of the water rushing against and past me, and again a real shark-fest of white tips, black tips, and grays---not just one or two at a time, but 5 and six and more. Riding the currents through German Channal and dropping through the Virgin Blue Hole and exploring Chandelier Cavern was awesome. The wall diving was the bets. They were full of all kinds of soft corals, turtles, and enormous Napoleon Wrass, schooling fish of all kinds both big and small. There is much more I could say, but to wrap it up,---Don't die without diving Palau

Second, Yap: Manta Bay Resort is a great place to dive from. Bill really has his act together there; fast boats, well organized, great facilities. However, I was a little disappointed in the diving. I honestly thought that when I backrolled off the boat, I would see manta after manta, not knowing which way to point the cam. Not the case. Either this dive is overhyped, or I just ran into a couple of bad days. We dove Middle Channel twice on the first day and my only sighting was a distant shadow. The viz was disappointing and only got worse on the second dive as the tide turned---it was almost like diving an Ohio quarry. Any manta would have had to be about 20 ft. from me to see. The first dive on the second day was better; the viz was better and I acutally saw either 4 mantas or the same manta 4 times. One time he came so close, I could have reached out an touched him. great video shot. The second dive was like the second dive on the first day---bad viz and no mantas.
One day left---We all thought this was going to be the day. The seas calmed down, and when we got on sight, you could tell the viz was really good. We started gearing up when our boat driver got a message from another Yap Divers boat telling us to check our air. We did. All the tanks were contaminated. That was the end of Yap diving for me. Three Yap Divers boats made their way back through the mangrove to the resort with a lot of disappointed divers. The rest of that morning, all you could hear was the hissing of about 200 tanks emptying themselves.

Now I know "stuff happens", but I was disappointed and a little upset because of what happened to me on the third dive of the previous day. I rolled off the skiff and started my descent. I could taste something in the air, sort of a burned rubber or model airplane glue tast. I should have aborted the dive right there, but I didn't. Fortunately, I was in shallow water, not deeper than about 25 ft. After about 10 min. I started feeling a real dryness and slight burning in my throat. I found Gordon, our DM and signaled him to come with me to the surface. When we got there I told him what I was experiencing and he took my reg, placed it to his nose and smelled the air. His immediate words were "bad air" and signaled the boat to come to us. We drove over to another Yap Diver boat that had a spare tank. I opened the valve and smelled the air and it was ok. I finished the dive on that tank. I feel the next day's disappointment could have been avoided if Gordon and the boat driver reported the incident of what happened to me. They never told anyone; not Jon, Bill, or anybody in authority. Logically, you would think that the chances of having more bad tanks would exists if there was one found in the batch. Maybe too much beetlenut or something. (I did find out later that there were about 3 or 4 other divers who did experience the bad air situation, but did not abort the dive) So, that night they filled about 200 tanks with contaminated air. Bummer!
Pilot fish and I were taking a walk that afternoon, and when we came back from the internet cafe, we took a shortcut through the backside of the resort where the compressors are located. I came around the corner and was hit by a familiar ordor. Some guys were making some kind of fiberglass forms using epoxy glue; I almost had a flashback when I smelled the ordor. Jon happened to be close by so I infomed him of this. I asked him where the compressor's intake was located and he pointed in the direction that the wind was blowing for the last two days and immediately shut down the operation. I did not dive any more because I was afraid that maybe some residue may have coated the tanks, and I didn't want to be breathing that stuff and 80 ft. where the mantas hang out. Thus I packed my gear, had beer or two and prepared for the "hell" of a 25 hr. jet ride back to Ohio.

Oh, by the way, I finally met the famous Mike V. and actually got to dive with him. Not only that, but he let me handle his video housing and cam while under. Now I'm ready to spend 13k and go HD. Thanks Mike for the experience and the clips.

pilot fish:
As I look back on my trip I realize, after speaking with you and the rest of the divers that had been to Palau, that I should have gone to Palau after Truk, instead of Yap. Next time Palau. Yes, the vis on Yap was a disappointment. The vis on the second dive in Mil Channel is very low, due to tide change etc. A manta would have to be right ovrerhead for you to get a good shot of it.

Pilotfish, not to rub it in, but actually I was also a bit surprised that you chose to skip over Palau on your trip... I figured you had already been to Palau since it was off your itinerary.

pakman:
Pilotfish, not to rub it in, but actually I was also a bit surprised that you chose to skip over Palau on your trip... I figured you had already been to Palau since it was off your itinerary.

I am kicking myself now for not going to Palua. I planned the Yap part of my trip to meet up with my travel agent that wsa going to be there that week, which turned out not to be such a great idea. He and I were due to buddy up there but he showed up with a friend of his and I was left to do my own thing.

Everyone I spoke to had great things to say about Palua and so-so things to say about Yap. I had the feeling that most peopl,e were a bit disappointed in Yap after Palau. I know I was, after Truk, even though I got to see a lot of manta the first few days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom